Why must one "study" the Bible to understand God's

plan for how humanity should behave? Logically if God was all knowing and powerful, he would have man write the Bible in layman's terms knowing we would have to study it! Translations are only as good as the translator. Maybe "the word" is no longer accurate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally I do not think that a book can make me understand God. That is something that lies within my heart and my head.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• IMO the bible is just a group of stories that help depict what morals you should have as a Christian... Translations are very sketchy in the bible.. which is part of the reason there are now so many denominations of Christianity, and well has having Jehovas Witnesses, and Jewish followers... The basics that you need as a Christian are the 10 commandments.. follow those, and what's in your heart and you will be fine.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• The bible is sacred and is God's work. Do you think he would have allowed it to be used so much if it became inaccurate? He would have most certainly found a way to destroy it, I'm sure.
    He's God. He created the bible with a purpose and a plan for it. If something got twisted around surely he'd do something about it. He wouldn't want us studying the Holy bible if it wasn't accurate.
    Anonymous

• Ok so I don't know a lot about the Bible. But I've read passages like "I've hardened their hearts so they don't turn around and become saved" or something. And Jesus spoke in parables so only those who were intended to understand, will. "Let their ears be open but not hearing, and their eyes open but not seeing." I don't know why, like I said I don't know a lot (baby Christian :)) but I think that's why
    Anonymous

• Uh, God gave us "free will", to do as we would with the life He gave us.

I agree entirely with anetrnlov! I believe the Bible is a great spiritual book with great insights. But it is not entirely GOD's truth and it was written by men, not by God. God is within and without and anyone can come to learn God if you just ASK!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Through the guidance of the HOly Ghost he will open your understanding. In all thy getting, get an understanding.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 10:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have read a lot of post about the bible... IMO it was written by man... it even states it in the bible somewhere... that God depicted what he wanted it in, but still was written by man... every arguement I have read when people take the bible literally and science has a theory that would endanger the truth of a passage in the bible, ex adam and eve..and not passing on the Judaism religion..people blame the devil.. how do they know the devil wasn't at work while the bible was being written?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• The Holy Bible has alot of very good instruction and knowledge for spiritual growth and maturity. Most people try to tackle the meat of it and choke. Meaning you have no idea what you are reading or how to apply it so you become confused and misinterpret what it means. If you are just now starting off you need to focus on text that are not so complex so you can drink it and digest it much more easier. Easy books to read are psalms and proverbs. Hebrews 5: 13 -14 For every one that used milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness for his is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even thos who by reason os use have their senses excercised to discern both good and evi.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 10:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• The Bible is the inspired Word of God. It is "God breathed" through the Holy Sprit. One need only to read it to know what God requires of her. Those who "study" it do so to know more of the historical and chronological backgrounds of the times and people who are written about. The Bible is not in a chronological sequence and there is some overlapping in the history. Real Bible scholars study to help us with that part. The Holy Spirit speaks to us individually as we read the words He left for us. It is alive and active and speaks to the needs of every person who is willing to receive it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i agree with nannyB and anonymous, yes there has been alot of translations and parphrased bibles, but if you pray before reading and the holy spirit lives in you the lord will tell you what he wants you to hear, i read the living bible paraphrased which is really good because i am parcially new to the bible and it is easier for me and my hubby to understand then the first bible that speaks in a way i can't comprehend right now, but as i grow in the lord i will read the first bible also.
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2009