Please tell me what, where and why you need a D&C .

I just found out today that i had a miscarriage i go to the Dr. on Tue. I'm just wondering what to expect. a couple of people have asked me if i have to have a D& C ??? I dont know? And i didnt know it would hurt me this bad..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• First of all, let me say I'm very sorry for your loss! I had a daughter who was stillborn and I know how painful it can be!

I had to have a D & C after each of my three pregnancies because my uterus just never seemed to clean itself out completely. I just kept bleeding until the D & C's were done.

I don't think that a miscarriage automatically means you will have to have a D & C. For a lot of women, their bodies take care of getting rid of what you do not need. If you do have to have a
    D & C, try not to worry. The procedure itself is done on an outpatient basis and has very little, if any, discomfort afterwards. At least that was what my experiences with it were like.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• if all the tissue of the baby and the developing support tissue (placenta for example) isn't expelled during the m/c you may need a d&c to clear the uterus.
    I'm very sorry for your loss.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• sorry what is a D&C?
    Anonymous

• You would have a D&C if your body isn't able to expel the embryo/fetus. Sometimes when a woman miscarries their body wont expel the fetus so they have to get a D&C and other times a woman will chose to get one instead of wait to get one. Does that make sense?

I am so sorry for your loss. I know there are support groups on Cafemom to deal with pregnancy loss if you want to join one. I don't know if there is any comfort in this but many women go on to have a healthy pregnancy after a miscarriage, if you want to try later.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• when i had one they put me completely under. i had cramping for a few days after and bleeding but that was it. i am sorry for your loss.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Dilation and Curettage. They scrape tissue on the inside of the uterus. Its like a cleaning out. The doctor will dilate you to perform the curettage which is the scrapping
    Anonymous

• D&C is when they go inside of you and remove all of the excess tissue. I know that you need to have one done if your body doesn't expell it on its own. I wish that I couldve went through the d&c rather than doing it on my own. It took me almost 3 weeks to get everything out of me, and I had numerous doctors appointments and they had to use forceps on me 3 different times so they could get tissue and clots out of me. Im really sorry to hear about your mc. I know how hard they are, and scary.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I struggled with this too. I decided to have a D&C. I found out on New Year's Eve that the baby died. I was going to let it pass naturally. Then, I realized it could take time and I wanted to move on so I can eventually start again. I know I have one of the top doctors in the nation so I trusted he would take care of me. He completed the procedure last Thursday and so far no problems. I feel that I have made the best decision. A friend from work suggested for me to have the D&C versus taking the pill or letting it pass naturally. The emotional part of the whole devastating process I feel is less with the D&C. I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. No one knows truly how you feel. People will tell you that it will happen one day or they know how you feel. When you hear these things you will cringe. This is a hard time for you! Again, I am so sorry for your pain.
    JenaElliott

Answer by JenaElliott at 10:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I had to have a D&C after the birth of my 2nd daughter. I started passing very large blood clots. The procedure was totally painless with no after effects. My stepmom calls it a 'dust n clean'. lol But as far as having one done after a miscarriage I'm not sure. I found this website which may help you though: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/dandc.html. And I'm very sorry for your loss. Good luck in the future!
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 10:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have had two m/c's they it was a horrible time for me i went into a depression with both of them every baby i saw made me cry and hate them even though they didn't do anything to me. The first one i had i did have to have a D&C even though the baby was gone it didn't want to leave me and start to break down and i had to have the surgery. It is a out patients surgery all they do is you can't eat for 24 hours before the surgery then they give you fluids to keep you hydrated and then put you under and scrape the inside of your uterus out to get everything out of you. its about a 45 min procedure at least that was what i have been told. Then they gauze you up and send you home. i dind't have any cramping or pains the only pain i had was that my baby was gone.. IM VERY SORRY FOR YOU LOSS
    Katiebears89

Answer by Katiebears89 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009