Cakes from Home

I'm looking into starting my own cake business. Does anyone know the laws/regulations about selling baked goods out of your home? I'm in Michigan if that makes any difference. Thanks

TTFN

chrissmom734

Asked by chrissmom734 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you are going to advertise, go to bridal shows, etc. you need to have a separate kitchen OR you'll need to revamp your home kitchen to include stainless steel countertops, tile floor, etc, just like a commercial kitchen. Pretty much you'll need to get approval from the Health Dept. If you go into your local HD they should be able to give you the information.

I've sold cakes from my home for years. I do no advertising, it's all word of mouth and I make SURE that people understand it comes from my home kitchen in which I also prepare meals for my family.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Thank you. . . I wasn't thinking of advertising yet. Maybe in the future when I get better.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2009