just had a baby

i just had a baby and im having realy bad cramps how can i get them to go away or just lighten up

momof3today

Asked by momof3today at 10:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your uterus is contracting back to normal size. it sucks but it will be like this for a little bit. Take a nice warm bath and drink soothing relaxing teas such as chamomile and red raspberry leaf.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• that cramping is just your body adjusting to what it was before you had the baby. there was a lot of stretching going on. If you are breastfeeding you can experience what feels like menstrual cramps. Ask you doc if you are concerned.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• First, Congrats on the baby!! The cramps are called "after pains" and it is your uterus shrinking back to size. If you are nursing, then they will be more sever while you are nursing because the stimulation causes your uterus to contract more. If your doc gave you a prescription it should help. If not then you can take motrin. That's what they prescribed for me and it worked pretty well.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• go urinate n' stop holdin ur pee!!!!
    Jess288

Answer by Jess288 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• oh n' congrats 2u!!!!
    Jess288

• The only pain relievers I could take after giving birth was Motrin IB because I was taking percocet as well. But my "cramps" went away after the first week. I am breastfeeding as well, but I don't know if it's the same for everyone. GL
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• There's not really much you can do. I had pain killers(percacet-I think). Ask your doctor if you can. Even after I took the pain killers it didn't do much good. It'll go away pretty quick.
    calliesmommy08

Answer by calliesmommy08 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I took pain killers but it was pointless. I just had to deal with it ( I know , NOT what you wanted to hear) I feel or at least felt your pain. Sorry : (
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Breastfeed.
    And no, do not take painkillers. It isn't THAT bad. It is a perfectly normal process your body goes through. How else do you expect your uterus, and stomach to shrink back down?
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:06 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• if this is especially painful, call the doctor. i suffered wiht period cramps for years beleiving i was just a baby and that everyone had the cramps i did. come to find out i had a condition that was making me have so much pain. 15 years ago, had i gone to the doctor i would not have been walking around with period cramps that could give 8 cm contractions a real close run for thier money. i now know pain is bad. its your body's check engine light.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:17 AM on Jan. 13, 2009