getting toddler to take a pill HElp!!

My son has to take steroids becuase he has no adrenal glands he is two, it only comes in pill form, so I have to crush it and hide it in food, the thing is it is so strongly tasting that there really is no hiding it. He always tastes it, and it is a down hill battle, he has to take them 3 times a day, anyone have to deal with getting a toddler to take crushed pills, Please give me advise.

Laura

lolagirlkoch

Asked by lolagirlkoch at 10:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try doing it the same way we give it to dogs. Stick it in a piece of cheese and feed that to your kid, maybe it will help?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I know this sounds unhealthy but it depends on how bad you want him to take the medicine. Have a spoonfull of hershey's chocolate ready. Give him the medicine then the chocolate. The chocolate will cut down on the bitter taste of the medicine...and he may even look forward to the chocolate. I would say this is if nothing else works because you wouldn't want him to always expect candy after medicine either... :)
    And of course don't do this if its for childhood diabetes.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• And your pharmacist may have some ideas that work too. Give one of the 24 hour one's a call right now.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I feel your pain!! My daughter had eye surgery @ 14mo. and one of the medications she was on after only came in pill form. We mixed it with strong chocolate milk. Also she loves queso so I would mix it in queso. pizza was another one make the pizza sprinkle on top and then cover with cheese. ummm trying to remember this was 5 years ago. Spaghetti, cereal, ohh make the koolaid a little stronger than it calls for it hid the taste pretty well. Good luck honey!!!!
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 11:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I am currrently in the hospital with my son, just looking for some ideas, He wont take anything from me on a spoon he is on over 20 medications for his cancer, so he doen't trust me.
    lolagirlkoch

Answer by lolagirlkoch at 11:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• well, my granny used to put my meds in some bread to make it easier to swallow. and it tasted a whole lot better that way.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Can you add it to liquids? Maybe smash it up then put it in a small amount of juice. One with a strong taste. Or put it in water and use one of the surynge things to shot it in his mouth. You'd probably only need less than 1 mm of water or juice to mix it with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2009