Painkiller addiction-ANyone else?

I dont think I am addicted at this point because I go weeks without them but I absolutely love to take percocet. It started when I was in a car accident. Pretty bad one. AT the time I actually did not like the pills much because I did not like the way they made me feel. I was in rehab(outpatient) for a year and my rehab doc would continue to give me scripts for it. Most of the time I did not fill them and only filled it when I really needed them. Then closer to the end of my rehab i took them more. I have been out of rehab for almost a year now and get them from time to time from my primary doctor. Is this addiction? Or does this sound like a form of recreational drug use.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Health

• Lately I just find myself wanting to take them more and more and I'm just wondering from anyone who has used painillers before if this is where the prob starts. They arent easy to get and like I said I go weeks without any. I just recently had a few because my friend was getting rid of hers and I took them. They just make me feel really good and relaxed and give me the energy to do the things I otherwise would be too tired to do in my home.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like the beginning of an addiction. If I were you I'd go ahead and stop now.
    Anonymous

• I have the same type of problem, but with a different medication. There is a difference between dependency and addiction. When you are just dependent on a drug, you take it only when you have the pain, the right dose, etc.-but you know that without it, life would suck. But when you are addicted, its all you think about, you usually take more than you are supposed to, and take it when you are not having pain. I have never taken Percocet, but i have taken Vicodin and they are wonderful for pain, but also, they put you in a great mood, so easy to get hooked on. I am taking an rx that i was prescribed, i know that i'm not addicted, but definitely dependent.
    Anonymous

• I dont think im addicted because if i didnt have them i just wouldnt take them but i do so i do. when i run out and i only have 4 left that will be it. I just like taking them when I have some. Its more of a relaxation thing but I can definitly see how it could become a problem. I usually take one at night a few hours before bed and just lay in bed and relax. It also allows me to enjoy some pretty great sex which is cool. Well when these 4 are gone this will be it for me. I dont want it to turn into a prob.
    Anonymous

• Uh by your last response if that is you, that sounds like what person who has an additction would say...."oh I will stop after the last 4." I would stop and listen to what you are saying. That is what they always say..."oh only when I have them," "when I run out that will be it," but next thing you know you are getting another prescription.

Dump out those last 4 now and move on. If you find yourself scratching for a prescription after that then YES you know you have an addiction. Seek help at that point and get a good support system so you dont' go back to using and then it becomes a downward spiral. It happens fast, don't go there and ruin your life.
    Anonymous

• I know what you mean about just liking them. If I had Vicodin, i'd take them even if i wasn't in pain. They give me energy too, and lift my mood! Its scary to think about addiction, but ya know, taking them once in a while, at the right dose, shouldn't hurt anything. Its no different than having yourself a mixed drink or something.
    Anonymous

• yeah thats a great comparison i think-a mixed drink-its something i like to do everyone once in awhile sometimes a few nights in a row but more so on friday or saturday nights when im home after everyone else if off to bed. its almost like my glass of wine so i guess that its some form of recreational drug use. I am by no means addicted because if I dont have any i dont take them. when i feel like getting some i do. my last prescription was actually back in Nov. and that was for 15 pills so i think with me actually taking them for pain and few days the fact that i would just now be needing a new script is pretty damn good
    Anonymous