Why is she throwing up breastmilk?

I have been feeding my daughter breastmilk for the last 5 days (since she was born) but today she has been throwing it up? Why?

edgpag

Asked by edgpag at 10:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• check her temp to make sure its ok.... if not high or anything then just try to feed her again... if she still is doing it in the morning then call her doc..... it could be caused by many things like a temp, small cold, excitement from being home, a runny nose and ext.
    Anonymous

• It may seem like a lot, but its usually no more then a couple of teaspoons. Burp every 5 min and in between boobs and try to keep her upright for 1/2 hour after eating.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I know how much she is throwing up when she soaks the clothes she is wwearing plus her blanket plus it goes through to the bed I think that is more then a couple teaspoons. It just pours out she even threw up while I was feeding her. And I do keep her up after she eats.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• burp her ALOT!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• So she is only 5 days old ? Did I read that right ? Then definitely call your pedi right away if it's more like she is throwing up then just spitting up. It could signal a serious health issue with her digestive track , a virus, or could be something minor. Too many things could be causing the problem to give advice on here. Best bet for a newbie is to call.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 10:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• yeah thats what my son does, anon 10:35 is right.... it could even just be she has a tummy ach...
    Anonymous

• It can be different things. But for me it was because I was drinking too much milk. I was drinking 2 large glasses a day and she would throw up the day after each time. But when I went down to zero or just one glass, she was fine. So it COULD be something in your diet.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• but I agree...better safe than sorry and ask the pediatrician...at least to calm your own worries
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I think that Farrahann gave some pretty good advice about the burping and sitting her up. Have you eaten something different? Sometimes that can cause baby to have tummy troubles. If baby continues to spit up like this contact the doctor.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My son seemed to have excessive spit up as well. For tonight I would make sure she stays hydrated (plenty of wet diapers). In the morning I would call your ped to see if he/she wants to see your baby. The muscle at the top of the stomach might be underdeveloped and allowing her meals to come back up (especially if she eats a big meal). My son would go through 2-3 outfits a day at daycare, plus extra bibs). Our ped prescribed meds to help tone up that muscle; It really sucks, but we just waited it out and let our son outgrow it rather than give him extra meds. He is now 8 months and only has occassional problems. Good Luck.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2009