i'm 7 weeks pregnant and ripped the bottom of my foot open on an old rusty, dirty nail...

Now what? Will we be ok.. or should i be freakin out.. I don't remember the last tenius shot i had...

emturner

Asked by emturner at 10:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• OUCH! Whether you have had any shots or not, I would still go to urgent care or the ER. They can tell you exactly what to so and help you keep it clean so you don't get any infections. As for the tetanus shot. I'm not sure how often you have to get it, but I do know they tell you to get another one if you do step on any nails, rusty objects etc. I have no idea though if it's ok to get while your pregnant though. If you go in they will help you :) Good Luck!

KrystleShaw2007

Answer by KrystleShaw2007 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• prolly safest to get to a doctor
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You need to call your doctor, or go into the ER. This could be very serious.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Go to the ER or an urgent care center. Don't put it off, go now. The sooner you get treatment against infection and possibly a tetanus shot the better.

Answer by Bmat at 10:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i would go to the er, if u dont remember when u last had a shot then it is better to go get one and not wait around, u could really get sick and it could harm the baby
    Anonymous

• If you can't remember your last tetnus booster ( about every 10 years I think) then I would call and find out what you should do. If I remember right you only have a 72 hour window to get the booster.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 10:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You definately need to get in to the DR. Any type of puncture wound or cut from a rusty object can be dangerous. Protect yourself and your little one and get to the DR.!
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 11:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Do NOT get a shot right now. That is FILLED w/mercury. Here is more info on it: http://www.vaclib.org/links/tetanusindex.htm
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Tetanus incidence and mortality declined greatly before the widespread use of tetanus vaccine. (In excess of 99%)

The bacteria associated with tetanus is present virtually everywhere. However, when the human body does not present the bacteria a proper environment for growth, this constitutes a natural immunity to the tetanus bacteria.

The only preventives for tetanus are general good health and wound hygiene.

There is NO immunity to dirty wounds. Wound hygiene is essential.

Tetanus incidence in the vaccinated is about the same or higher than incidence in the unvaccinated.

Tetanus vaccine is not only ineffective but also toxic. It's use causes numerous adverse side effects.

Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2009