Hes not that great Dad I thought he'ld be?

We have 2 BOYS 5 and 2yrs. I have to beg my husb. just to play w them. They just bug him. But hes the 1st to discipline them. Even for the stupidest stuff. Hes not even close to the Dad I wanted for my kids. Its a big stresser on how I feel for him. So now What?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Relationships

• Marriage counseling.
    Anonymous

• Well think of it this way. Would your kids at 2 and 5 like to sit down to watch the nightly news or read about stocks. Hopefully not, lol because they aren't appropriate activities for children of those ages. The same is probably true for your husband. He isn't a 5 or 2 year old so their activities aren't all that fun to him. Try finding some full family activities that all of them will enjoy (even if that means horsing around!) Building forts ut of the couch cushions is always a winner with little ones and dads.
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 3:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Tell him he can't discipline them unless he wants to play with them too. Being a parent means doing it all. Even if they don't want to. How would he like it if you only ever yelled at him and didn't pay him any kind of good attention?
    Anonymous

• Give him some time, he may not know how to relate with them right now, He may just blow you away when they are a little bit older. by all means encourage him no, and talk to him about it, but don't give up on him just yet.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 3:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Parenting classes. If you have to tell him you want to go for yourself, but you were hoping he'd go with you to help you keep track of all the info.

Lots of people have no experience with little kids when they have them. So they don't know how to relate to them. Then there's the issue of how his dad parented him. He may just be mirroring the model he's been shown of what a father is.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 4:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• What is your husband into? What does he do as a job? Sorry, this must break your heart :0(

My husband is into planes and likes being outside, so I encourage my kids to take notice anytime a "hairplane" as my daughter says, flies by, and we talk about how Daddy likes them. I talk him up when he's not around.

I think counseling is a greatttt idea though too.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2008