I am trying to get my son to sleep in his crib.Should I let him cry it out? Or go in the room and pick him up? Do i sit in the room with him? or close the door?

Should I let him cry it out? Or go in the room and pick him up? Do i sit in the room with him? or close the door?

rwooller24

Asked by rwooller24 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sometimes you have to allow your "mommy" heart to tell you when to let him cry it out and when to be there with him
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 11:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You are asking the wrong crowd this question! You will have some who make you feel like you are accusing your child if you let him/her cry it out! I personally think it is good to let them learn to comfort themselves at bedtime. I would lay him down, wait 10 min., if he's still crying (not de-escalating), go in, soothe him, calm him down, then lay him down again. Continue until he gives in and goes to sleep. Eventually, the crying at bedtime should lessen.

I had one of each-- my first, I'd rock for hours rather than lay her down. To this day she has a hard time calming down to go to sleep (she's 8, btw!). My second daughter, I used the method above, and she learned to love her bed. AND SHE'S NOT SCARRED FOR LIFE, like some would have you believe!
    Anonymous

• SORRY, I meant abusing, not accusing above! DUH!!
    Anonymous

• With my girls I always did the cry it out method but I never co-slept with my kids IDK if you did. My son was another story. He slept in his crib for the first 7 month but for some reason when we moved he didn't want to. Dont know why. I couldn't do CIO with him becuase of his asthma so we did a boppy pillow on the floor of the living room. I ended up switching his crib to a toddler bed when he was about 14 mo old or so. I started it by sitting in there by the door if he got out I put him back in. Did that for a week or two and then sat outside his door. Did that for a week or two. and then everything was fine.
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 11:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I agree, let your "mommy" heart tell you what to do. If he's got a full belly and it's bed time he probably just doesn't want to be alone. only you can tell if he seriously needs you or just wants you. with my kids i had some really quiet music playing to help sooth them. the first time i let my dd cry it out was painfull!
    good luck to you
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 11:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• There are no right answers. Only what is right for your family.

If I stayed in my daughter's room, she would never sleep. I discovered that at a very early age. If I was there, she screamed all the louder and longer. That applied if I tried to rock her to sleep, if I sang to her or swayed with her or any of the thousand other things people do to ease a child into sleep. To this day, if her door is open she will scream until I come close it.

You have to evaluate YOUR child's temperment and your ability to handle screaming (no, she will not feel abandoned but she will be MAD). Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• This is the toddler section. Your baby should be sleeping in his crib or in a toddler bed by this age. Let him cry it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• There is a great article that another person put on here earlier about CIO. I wish I could remember the link but it was on Dr. Sears' website. There are many many good reasons not to make your child cry it out.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 12:15 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We never let our DD cry it out. For me, it seems unnatural to let a child CIO. I learned in an Early Childhood Education class that until the age of 2, children don't know that they are separate beings from their mothers. Not to say that it won't work for some.

I like Dr. Sears. I also LOVED the 90 Minute Sleep Solution by Dr. Polly Moore. It is all about developing healthy sleep habits. It helped us so so much! Message me if you have questions.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I would sit with the child and rub the childs back or head.. something to let them know you are there while reading a book or singing to them . If the child is crying let them cry and just keep going with what your doing. The child will eventually feel comforted. This helps build up a feeling that the crib is safe. Then as the child gets better about being in the crib you can just read or sing. Eventually the child will be fine with it.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 13, 2009