My 3 year old is still talking funny.

She speaks plenty of words, but she still doesnt talk as clearly, or expresses herself as clearly as her peers. I have bought her toys that teaches her ABCs and how the letters sound. Every night I read her a book. The biggest concern is that her 2 year old brother actually speaks just as good as her. I feel that he might pass her up, or that she is on his level mentally. Is there something that I am not doing?

lovechild05

Asked by lovechild05 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would talk to your dr since you are concerned. My dd will be three next month and is not talking nearly as well as her brother was at that age. My friend had the same issue with her youngest she says it is because there are other children that spoil her! Her dd is fine no speech problems and she didn't start talking til she was almost 4! She is also 2 grades ahead of kids her age!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My daughter, who is 5, has had speech issues as well, and actually attends speech therapy once a week. I started noticing it with her about 2 years old. I have been assured that it is not a cognitive issue-- her ability to learn is just fine. I was concerned about a learning disability with her as well, because she couldn't be understood. I started by asking her pediatrician about it. He sent her for a hearing evaluation first, which was fine. After we knew that was not the issue, I took her for a speech evaluation, which our insurance paid for. In Ohio, there is a program where preschoolers can get early intervention, like speech therapy, for no cost. I actually take her to the school in our district for speech therapy, and she has an IEP (Individualized Education Plan), that is revised each year.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Is her hearing good? Is she talking like a toddler or is she really having any specific problem. I have worked with many. Test her by getting her to mimmick the vowels = a, e, i, o, u. All with the long vowel sound. Can you explain further on how she is not clear. Our sound are made with different areas of our mouths. Some kids just do not choose to be as audible as others. But that doesn't mean that they are behind. But if their is a problem, it is easier to work with it now than to wait. A bad habit is a baaaaaaaad habit. Both of my children were different. My first was talking clearly and sentences by 2. My daughter, second born, did more, later. Both were normal.
    lovewing

Answer by lovewing at 11:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• "Google" Phonological Processing Disorder, and see if it reminds you of your daughter. That was my daughter's diagnosis.

And to encourage you, my daughter's speech has GREATLY improved the last year and a half. I'm not constantly having to translate for her anymore!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If I can help please contact me further.
    lovewing

Answer by lovewing at 11:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• By three, 75% of what she says should be fairly clear to strangers. It can't hurt to have her evaluated. If she's fine, you'll know it. If she's not, you'll be on your way to getting her help.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It won't hurt to have her evaluated. My 3 year old is currently in speech therapy for a moderate delay in articulation. His vocabulary and ability to use words is far above his age level, but he's difficult for others to understand.

Speak to your pediatrician and/or call your local school district special education services to see about an evaluation. If she qualifies for services, great! She'll get help to catch up to her peers!! If she doesn't qualify, you will still be able to get some ideas for how to help her from the speech pathologist who does the evaluation!

I also have one in speech with a severe expressive language delay. It really does help!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:25 AM on Jan. 13, 2009