What illnesses do you not believe in?

Not entirely sure how to word this question.

I know there are people that disagree that certain illnesses even exist. If you are one of those people, which illness is it that you don't believe is real? What are your reasons for believing the way you do?

(My interest was recently sparked because I heard that someone did not believe in down syndrome.)

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Health

• karinza i agree with you 100%, as someone who has battled depression for a long time i know that without help i would not have been able to get over it. when i was in therapy they called my depression an illness and i told them 'no its not an illness' and they said 'yes actually it is, just because it's happening to your mind and not your body doesnt make it any less deadly' and that really opened my eyes
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• For example...some don't believe there is such thing as ADD or ADHD, some don't believe there is such thing as bi-polar.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• None. I have yet to run across a "imaginary" diagnosis.....
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Morgellons is thought to be "imaginary," but I don't know. I think it could be real, heck it dates back to the 1600s
    Anonymous

• I do not believe in Bi-polar and ADHD as an illness.
    I think ADHD is just a term they gave active, hyper and possibly not well disciplined kids and stuck them on BAD medicine to suppress it.
    Bi-Polar? No, it's more like being moody, bitchy and not wanting to control your anger.
    Anonymous

• Wow it is obvious that you have no clue what bipolar is because it is far more then moodiness. Try picking up a psychology book.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I don't believe that addiction is a disease, it's just a lack of self control and the ability to be responsable for one's self. I've done lots of drugs that are considered to be highly addictive and have never been addicted. I used to drink and party a lot and never became an alcoholic. Why? Because I make my own rules and am stonger then an urge, other things are more important to me. I honestly don't believe in addiction and think it's a crock excuse used by people without any self control.
    Anonymous

• I know all of the other side effects too. My grandmother was diagnosed as it too but I think it's all in the head. Kind of like a hypochondriac kind of thing.

Anonymous

• If you know about it you would know that calling it moodiness and an inability to control ones anger is FAR from accurate. I can understand not believing an illness exist when you have clear knowledge of the disease, its process and its effects but from your statement you have no clue.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Hmm. I didn't know this was a debate. Did you post this so you could target the people who answer differently from your opinion? Or did you post just because you were curious on other's opinions...I do believe it's option 1.
    Anonymous