what temp is too high?

My daughter is 19 months old, her temp is 100.7 under arm, so therefore its 101.7, what is too high for her age? She has had massive diarhea for the past few days, but no fever until today. She hasnt eaten much at all, but is willing to drink fluids. Is the E.R. necessary, or can she wait to get in to the Dr. tomm?

JadeAndKerasMom

Asked by JadeAndKerasMom at 11:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you could wait till tomorrow. I was told that unless its over 103 to just keep offering fluids and alternating between Tylenol and Motrin. I hope your DD feels better soon.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 11:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• That really isn't that high. It can wait.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would give her some Pedialyte and just keep an eye on her until the morning. Then I would call the doctor first thing in the morning. I hope she feels better soon!

lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Sounds like a virus, especially with this time of year and symptoms. The fact that she is drinking fluids is great.

If she wants to eat stick to the BRAT diet...Banana, rice, applesauce, toast. That will help to bind things.

As for her temp, not necessary to go to the ER. Same as the above poster I would wait for a 103-104 fever that won't go down.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If you are really that concerned, call your pediatrician, they usually have a way to leave a message and an on call doc will call you back. Tell them the symptoms and duration and see what they say.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 11:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Here's a really good guide for fevers:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Take her to the dr if it happens to spike it can cause her to have a febrile seizure trust me it happened to my dd she stopped breathing and everything try giving her a warm bath NOT cold, cold water can send her into shock
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 12:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• That temperature isn't too high. Just give her Tylenol to control it. If it cannot come down, call the doctor and make sure you tell the doctor how you took her temperature. (ours wants a rectal temp for accuracy)

What she does eat, make sure it's starch and carbs to help with the diarrhea. Don't give her anything but water to drink. Sugary drinks (juice, pedialyte and gatorade) make diarrhea worse. Milk is okay provided it doesn't usually give her looser stools.

If she starts vomiting, give only water no milk.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• 101 temp is not that bad. IF shes fighting of an infection/bacteria/virus your bodys natural reaction is to try and "burn" the bacteria out. Thats why you get a low grade fever. A temp that remains at 103 or above for more that 2 or 3 hours you need to get to the ER. A temp of 104 for several hours can cause brain damage if not dealt with. I wouldnt recomend tylenol until her fever reaches 102. Im a nurse and this is what we were taught, the tylenol could prolong the bacteria and make things worse.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2009