basement

We have an unfinished basement. We cannot afford to have it "finished' with drywall, etc. We have decided to paint the walls and the floor to make it look better-my husband and his friends work out down there. What color do ya think would be good? The paint for the concrete walls and floors comes in shades of gray, shades of white, shades of green, and shades of blue. Should we use one color on the floor and a different color on the walls?

hw1977

Asked by hw1977 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would probably do something blue. White is generic, gray looks like cement (haha), and the green would remind me of an old jail cell or something. Light blue would at least be a little less depressing.

Instead of painting the floors, you can lay down a large sheet of laminate flooring or get a big carpet remnant for cheap to throw down there.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• The brighter the better. Don't paint it a dark color because that will just make the whole place look darker. My neighbors did their basement in a dark maroon color (painted the floors and part of the walls and put fabric up on other walls and had black garbage bags to cover the ceiling--before they had it actually finished) and it was so freaking dark down there even with all the lights on that you couldn't read.

Our basement was painted bright yellow at some point and even with half the amount of lights it was much brighter and easier to spend time in it. Unless you want to go for the cave look. I found it depressing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would do a shade of blue or green on the floor... with either white or gray on the walls... but I know if you primer it you can basically make it any color you want. like above said... I would keep it in light shades to make it brighter down there.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2009