What do you think?

I have been married for five years. We are happy..we have a great marriage...we have three beautiful children that are well-behaved...Other than being poor, we are happy with life and are a great little family.

One of my "friends" is single, has three kids by three different dads, lives with her parents, mooches money from them...gets nearly $4,000 in child support a month AND is on welfare and other state-aid programs...And the best part of all, the last baby's dad is in JAIL. Perfect, right?

Why does she treat my husband and me like shit for being happily married? She mocks my husband, who works 80 hours a week to provide for his family and mocks me for being married a Mexican.
I hate her. I despise people like her. I don't care that she's a single mom...I just don't understand being mocked for raising a traditional family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Relationships

• You shouldn't be mocked. Good for you - it sounds like you have it all (exept maybe a little spending money). Sorry, I can make light of your family situation because it's my situation too. Please don't let your "friend" get to you. She's jealous, and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to tell you that. She's bitter that she has to ask for help because she is lazy (living at home) and a poor decision maker (three kids by three dads, hmmm). I'd be bitter if I was her too. However, instead of trying to get herself up on her own two feet, she'd rather waste her time making fun of you, and the life she wishes she had. Don't ever forget - we're always jealous of those who do better than us. Hope you can find a little satisfaction in that.
    Anonymous

• Maybe she isn't happy. Perhaps deep down she really wants what you have and she can't have it so she acts out against it.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 3:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Sounds like the Mocking is her way of dealing with her being Jealous cause you and your family are happy and surviving the best you can, and she feels like crap cause she does not have that. Hold your head up, don't let her get to you. A person like this is not a true friend.
    Anonymous

• Feeling you there. My sister does this me. I just blow her off. Easier said than done, but you can't let her bring you down.
    HelenStoner

Answer by HelenStoner at 3:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Why are you calling this person a friend. She is either jealous or has a different philosophy on life than you. Either way, she should not be making fun of you. I wouldn't call that type of person a friend.
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 3:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• All I have to say is concentrate on what you and your family. You are blessed to be in a happy marriage, especially during a time when divorce is so rampant. Your friend is jealous, and all the money in the world cannot replace true happiness.
    Anonymous

• Thanks, all. I know she's unhappy with her situation, who wouldn't be? But I don't get being mocked for making good decisions?? WTF?? I would give her the shirt off my back if I saw she was doing the best she could and just not making it...and I don't have a shirt to give! Our state is f*cked on how the welfare is given out. People like her who have full-time (great paying) jobs and child support and food stamps and WIC..etc...and my family falls through the cracks...because we're married.
    Anyways...I just really needed to vent my frustration. I wouldn't care if she had 10 kids with different dads...that's her choice...just don't bitch to me because you won't get off your lazy ass and make it work for you. Just so sick of it.
    Anonymous

• My guess, she's extremely jealous of you and your happiness and success. I know a person like this and when we were friends she tended to do the same thing. My advice, dump her. She's NOT your friend and will never be, so I would cut all ties with this girl. You deserve to be happy and you deserve the wonderful hubby you have.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• AND...to top it off...She made fun of my kid's names...because they are Mexican names!!??!! Sheesh.
    Anonymous

• We're not exactly what I would call successful...we just work hard to make ends meet. We've had marriage counseling and fights and every normal thing people have in a marriage. We just work hard at it and make it work. Have three kids under the age of four is no easy task. I'm proud of it and I'm sick of the constant bitching from her. If she's not happy with her life - CHANGE!! Sorry. I'm seriously done worrying about it. I really just needed to vent. LOL. Sorry, all. Thanks for taking the time to read me.
    Anonymous