Day Care

Any advice on starting Day Care amidst separation and stranger anxiety? My DD is nine months and very attached to mama, but I have to start going back to class full time now. I really love the Day Care I found. She will be one of four in her room and I have a family member on staff who can hope over and check on her whenever need be. I really feel good about this place, but not about her. My fear is that she is going to drive these poor ladies up the wall, and disrupt nap time for the whole lot. The only person I can leave her with for any amount of time without her melting is my mother, who also has to work. Anyway, my point is I could use some advice, funny stories, anything that might help me help her transition as easy as possible.

Cris1128

Asked by Cris1128 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine acts all sad as I leave, but once I am gone, he's fine. You may have to have a photo album of you and family for your little one to see when you are gone. It really is a phase that they go through and as long as you are firm and don't keep coming back to check up on her, she'll be fine (eventually). If you get stressed about it, your baby can sense that and they get stressed. Make the goodbye short and to the point. Maybe you can leave her for an hour the first day and then work your way up to where she is comfortable. just don't show that you are upset or your baby will get upset!!!!
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Most kids are like this. They are use to only certain people and the fear of being left with a 'stranger' overwhelms them. She will get use to them after a little while. Just bring her in, let her get comfortable and leave. Don't give her time to see you leave and get upset. It only makes it worse once she starts crying. After about a month she should take to the daycare workers and want to go. In fact my son is so used to it now he doesn't even slow down to tell me bye, he just immediately finds a friend and starts playing!!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 11:12 AM on Jan. 13, 2009