How do I get my 5 month old to fall asleep in her crib alone?

calliesmommy08

Asked by calliesmommy08 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine still has to have a bottle to fall asleep in his crib. We've established a bedtime routine that has helped him wind down and sleep longer at night, but he still has yet to put himself to sleep in the crib. I'm interested in hearing the answers you get as well!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We had the same problem and our son also needed a bottle to fall asleep. We did the cry it out method when he was 7 months even though I was against it at first. We were all out of options and now we get a good nights sleep. After about a week or a little less he fell asleep right away w/o fussing. Just make sure you check on them every 10-15 min. It's tough but worth it gl. If you don't want to use that method gl finding something that works and doesn't cause a bad habit. I wish you the best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• *Sigh*
    When will people learn?
    It is NOT a bad habit for your child to need you. Actually, it is about the best habit they can have. As they GROW UP they will become more independent. It takes many years to grow up. Let's not make our babies be independent of our love and comfort in the first year, okay??
    So my best advice: co-sleep. No, it is NOT a "bad habit". It is a wonderful bonding experience.
    My next best advice: continue putting her to sleep the way you are. When she is ready to put herself to sleep, she will do so. Until then, don't force it.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• what i did was this. i put him in his bed, held his hand so he knew he wasn't alone adn i read to him. doesn't matter what you read to him so choose something you would enjoy. the whole point is for you to get him to realize that even though you are not holding him you are still there. after a week or so, don't hold his hand. just read to him. after about a week of this, don't read. just sit there so if he opens his eyes he will see you. after two weeks of this, it should be easy sailing.
    this worked wonders for us as my husband can't stand to hear the kids cry. this had virtually no crying at all. and i got to read some of those books i had been meaning to read but couldn't find the time for.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I personally say don't worry about it. My son is 17 months & is still in my bed between DH & I. I think cosleeping is great. He's been sleeping thru the night since 8 weeks. I love his snuggles & having his sweet face to wake up to. I'm sorry I have no advice because I am completely against cry it out and I completely for taking advantage of the time they are babies.
    BabyDylansMomma

Answer by BabyDylansMomma at 3:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my son is 7 months old and in 3 days we are going to try the cry it out method,
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 3:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2009