Babies and water

I'm going to be a 1st time grandmother in Sept and I have heard that now it is determined that you should not give a baby water. Can someone please explain this to me, Why is it bad. For years we were told to give babies water so I'm wondering why it changed.

Lindabug

Asked by Lindabug at 3:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that is strange...i haven't heard that one....i gave both of my kids water...it helps with gas if you do water and kyro syrup...and it helps the digestive system if you switch from breasfeeding to formual..or to new foods..and so fourth. I'm all for water!!!
    mojomom2006

Answer by mojomom2006 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I have never heard of that. In fact my pediticrain told me that it was good to give them water.
    katandjohnmommy

Answer by katandjohnmommy at 3:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I just looked this up on the Internet, I read that they can get water intoxication which can give them seizures, coma ,brain damage or kill them. Also they say it fills them up so they may not get proper nutrition.and if your breastfeeding they don't need anything but your milk it provides all the water and everything they need. I don't know they are always coming out with new things I gave my kids water and they are still here! It didn't take away from the nursing I actually found it helped then I didn't have this insatiable thirst. what type of dumba** would force their baby to drink water until they had water intoxication?
    Tayleina

Answer by Tayleina at 3:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• When I stopped breastfeeding and put Max (18 months old) on formula, I asked the dr. if we should give him water and she said no. When my 20 year old was a baby, I am quite sure we gave her water. It's so confusing!!
    4GorgeousKids

Answer by 4GorgeousKids at 4:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My Doctor told me that babies do not need H20 during teir first 6 months. She said all they need is either breastmilk or formula... everything a baby needs is in there.
    IBCris

Answer by IBCris at 4:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i give my 8 month old water... her pedi said a few oz a day wont hurt... my dd LOVES water!!!
    akrogers13

Answer by akrogers13 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My dr said it can change there ph balance and they don't need anything other than formula or breast milk but I still gave my baby water not much just an once or two no more
    suger-n-spice

Answer by suger-n-spice at 4:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my baby is six months and when he was 4 months i gave him h2o. just like they said no juice i gave him 1 oz h2o 1oz juice at 4 months and he is just fine
    Maxsmommy1

Answer by Maxsmommy1 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Thank you for the answers ladies, I also gave my dd's water w/kyro for gas and it worked great so I was really shocked when I heard new babies don't get water.
    Lindabug

Answer by Lindabug at 9:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008