how do i get my 3 year old son to stop spitting?

my son spits all the time. at ppl and anything else, and also when he is upset/mad. even if i tell him no and that its not ok that doesnt work and neither does time out. also my son is ADHD! and ODD! so im all outa ideas on this issue. please help!

2momsandsuave

Asked by 2momsandsuave at 11:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son was spitting and one day I got sick of it and spit on him! he learned how nasty it is and has not done it again. He is 3.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 12:18 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Try to give him limits on when and where he CAN spit - it's okay to spit in the bathroom, it's okay to spit on the grass, etc...when he's spitting at people, consistently remind him that it's NOT okay and then immediately tell him where he can spit. If he spits at you, remove yourself from him - this is a physical reminder that spitting at you means he doesn't get your attention, he loses it. As moms, we know it's gross, but boys and men spit. It's a fact...so set the limits for when and where rather than banning it altogether. Remember to always offer a positive alternative rather than just a "no".
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 13, 2009