What does being over weight have to do with not being able to get pregnant?

I am just curious about this my friend has been trying for going on six years to get pregnant and the doctors told her to loose weight, because thats probably why she hasn't concieved yet, but they never told her why. Does anyone know why?

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • That is what they say though I have never had any issues.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 12:10 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my SIL is going through this and her fertility doctor told her that being overweight can make you borderline diabetic which will cause issues with getting pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Something about a hormone balance I think. You also will (generally) have a difficult time getting pregnant if you are under weight as well.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• im a nutrition major and from everything ive read about it no one really knows why. they think it may be linked to leptin levels (which regulate appetite) but they havent found a definite link yet.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:12 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• well anon she is a diabetic, and has blood suger issues really bad, its just sad though she would make an awesome mom
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Well being over-weight depending on how overweight you are of course is unhealthy. Basically the more over weight you are the more weight your body carries. If you were to get pregnant with all the weight you are carrying and the harder it is for you to do things the more likely the stress of that on your body will cause a miscarriage. Honestly in my opinion, it is alot harder to get pregnant over weight bc your body is not allowing this knowing it cant handle it. You be surprised how"smart" your body is. Getting even the slightest bit healthier you can see a big difference in how it functions. And im over-weight as well and trying.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It also has to do with ovulatation, the extra weight makes some women not ovulate at all! Well I lost 30lbs because I was trying to get pregnant & with the help of Clomid(pill that makes you produce more eggs every month instaed of just one & along with Artifical Insemination I have my baby :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Alot of overweight people are more proned to having PCOS>
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I tried to get pregnant for 6 years...then I gained a bunch of weight (like 40 lbs) and got pregnant....
    Now, I'm not advocating that...but I thought it was interesting.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2009