My 4 year old daughter's newest phase is drinking nothing but orange juice. (Every Mom's dream come true, right?) Not so. Is it true that too much vitamin C can cause lesions on the brain and eventually brain damage? I'm concerned because she is up to approximately 8 or 10 ounces 4 or 5 times per day.

secondrose

Asked by secondrose at 12:17 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Absolutely not! Vitamin C is water-soluble, meaning your body uses what it needs and the rest is flushed out. My children are prescribed mega amounts of vitamin C by their DAN doctor to treat their issues. I'd be more concerned with the amount of sugar that your child is consuming as a result of drinking so much OJ, not the vitamin C content. You'll know when she's reached saturation because her stools will become loose; this is a sign that she's getting too much.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I've never heard about that but have you tried watering the OJ down?
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 12:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I'd be concerned with the damage the acid could do to her teeth & stomach.

According to my OB/GYN when I had a cold during pregnancy --- she told me to take all the Vit C I wanted --- that you cannot overdose on Vit C. What your body doesn't need, you just pee out.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Well it is good that your daughter wants to drink juice instead of pop, but unless it is 100% juice, it is not good for her. And even if it is 100% juice, you are not supposed to give more than 1 or 2 glasses of 4 oz. of juice a day, because even pure juice is loaded in sugar. I do not know about the symptoms of too much vitamin C, but you can look it up online.......just search for vitamin C overdose or toxicity. Plus that much acid in her stomach and system is not so great for her either.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 12:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You could always mix the OJ with sparkling water and pour it into one of those plastic champagne flutes you find on the aisle with the paper plates and stuff. Tell her it's a drink meant to be drunk only by a princess. The bubbly water, well, waters it down, but will probably slow down the intake as well. Good luck!
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 12:24 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i dont mean for this to sound mean, but she's four, if you dont want her to have it dont give it to her.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I haven't heard about lesions, but there was a recent report linking too much juice to diabetes. Orange juice was a bigger hazard than apple juice, but all juices carried a risk.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:34 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Drinking that much of any kind of juice is unhealthy, particularly in lieu of water. Allow her to have 4-6 ounces per day, and explain to her that it's good to drink a little orange juice, but too much can be very bad for her. And then be the mom. Kids don't develop bad eating and health habits on their own..they are either learned from observation, or by parents not teaching them the proper way to eat and drink.

It drives me crazy when parents say "My kid won't eat nothing but (fill in unhealthy food item here)" or "My child won't drink anything but (same deal)". Kids are not into starvation, nor are they into dehydrating themselves. If you don't set limits now, you're going to be dealing with health issues like obesity and diabetes, or worse, later.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• According to http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002404.htm, the only harmful effects of too much vitamin C is some diarrhea or stomach upset. However, there is a link between too much juice and diabetes, so I would do like one of the previous posts and dilute the orange juice or possibly even limit her intake to less than 8 oz daily. Offer water the rest of the time.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Vitamin c does not cause brain lesions and you cannot overdose on it. You should still cut out as much as you can cuz the sugar she's getting by drinking so much is what's harmful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2009