Any good recommendations on how to "Break" the news to very supportive parents who...

want me to finish school before my husband and I start our own family? We aren't necessarily trying , but you never know. I think I may be pregnant now....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Do wait until you are sure you're pregnant, but just remember, you are a married woman, and you owe no one any explanations. If you intend to finish school, EXCELLENT!!! But do not feel like you have to defend yourself or your husband, or the life God has given to you!

The afternoon my second at-home test confirmed that I was pregnant, my first thought was not about how to tell my husband, it was how to tell my mom who has never been overly supportive. I held out for 6 weeks because I was afraid she may be disappointed. I called my mom up, and I said, "Hey, guess what?" "What?" "We're going to have a baby!" She asked me 11 times if I was serious, was I joking? was i pulling her leg? and being her oldest at 22, as afraid as I was of her response, she was absolutely THRILLED!

If you are happy, just smile, and do not be afraid or ashamed!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:42 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• wait to know that you are before sayign anything other then that until you now dont stress and if you are then just tell them if they are supportive now they will be then good luck
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Definitely wait until there is a confirmed pregnancy before breaking any news.
    But if that is the case, remember to be firm and positive when speaking to your family. Don't go into the conversation scared and nervous- or they will take that as a sign that they can scare you or manipulate you. When I told my mother I was pregnant, she made a screaming beeline for the "A" word. I told her "No" firmly and stood my ground... although inside I felt like I needed a sedative. Lol.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• if in fact you are pregnant i'd wait to break the news until you have seen the doc and have a due date this way it makes it more real for your parents. when you tell them i'd say something like, "i know you wanted me to finish school before me and DH had kids but i just wanted to tell you that we're/i am pregnant and we are super excited!" or something along those lines. if you know your family is supportive of you then you may find a cute way to announce your pregnancy and make it lighthearted instead of setting it up to sound like a disappointment. with my dd i blurted it out to everyone who'd listen, with my son we came up with a creative way to announce it and my family was thrilled! your approach to the situation will set the tone for the news.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 12:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2009