landlord issues i need advice?

so we have 15 days to leave our home. we rented a half of a duplex which he has to change back to a part of his original home so he can refiance the home. Well i am thinking that he cant do this since its not enough time for us to find a new home! we would have to go to a shelter! with our 10month old. Is this fair? What can i do if its not? I would like to get more info about this so if someone is a landlord or have alot experience with this kind of thing i would really like to message you about it! thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• assuming you signed a contract...what was the agreement on the contract? did it have guidlines for something like this? usually you have to have at least a months notice but it depends on the contract.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• First of all, he can not force you to leave without a court ordered eviction. He can ask, he can tell, but unless he has an official Eviction from a court, he can not make you leave. And to get an eviction, as far as i know, there will be a court date set right away, and you can go and fight your case. But I would contact the local county courthouse and ask them about it, and if they have an eviction hearing filed for your address from him.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 12:30 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• did you sign a lease or rental agreement? Is there a place in there that says the lease may be terminated by either party with 30 day notice? I believe, but you may want to check your state's rental clauses, there is a certain amount of time they have to give you before you have to leave as long as you are compliant in all other areas of the lease. As long as you don't break the rules, you have as long as the lease/rental agreement gives you. It's what you both signed in the beginning, and you are entitled to holding him up to his end of the bargain!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:30 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• we only signed an application. paying him cash and getting reciepts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• he cannot do that, what state do you live in
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You have ot be given at least 30 days I know this. There is no way he can do this to you guys legally. Do you have a lawyer or legal aid in your state? Legal aid is free to people who cant afford legal help I would try and find out if you have that in your state. Whether you signed anything or not I know you have to be given at least 30 days!
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• california
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• oh me too okay just hang on I have a web site that has landlord tenate laws on it
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/terminations.shtml
    okay there you go it is an awesome site I used it before when my SO's and mine old land lady wouldn't give us our deposit back
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2009