It's been so cold outside what are some things you do with your toddler? I usually do reading, playdough, run around the house, we go on the computer any more ideas : ) ? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Imagination time! We play "hide the car," where we take toy cars and stack blocks up and around them. Then of course, we have to say "where's the car?" and "peekaboo car" when it reappears. Build forts with a blanket and lots of luck, and hide in it. Blast the music and have a dance party. Pull down clean sponges and pretend "clean" (for some reason this is a favorite, and I hope it continues!) Sometimes I bake easy cookies and let the oldest help. The possibilities are endless, and loads of fun :-) But I'm still happy warm weather will be back soon lol
    mamma84

Answer by mamma84 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We bought some little magnet letters for the fridge. I line them up in the ABC's and we point to the letters while singing the song. So far she can identify a, b, c, d, e, f, g, t, s, y, m, o, and p. It is pretty fun to hear you sing her version of the song too. My brother in law gave us their little plastic slide. It is an outside toy obviously but that's ok. I also try to include her in cleaning and cooking. She "helps" by pushing the mop around the kitchen floor, putting soap in sink for cleaning dishes, Itsy Bitsy Spider, listening to music and dancing.

Good luck! I know its hard.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Use painter's tape (that blue masking tape) to write letters on the floor. Have fun calling them out and racing to them - if you use just a few letters and both upper and lowercase, it won't overwhelm him and you can both get a letter.

Have a swim party in the bathtub - complete with swimsuits and summer type snacks.

Get him a pair of blunt scissors and have cutting paper play. This kept my toddler happy for TWO HOURS!

Get Memory and play with just 6 pairs of cards.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• kaycee, my son is 2 1/2. Can they handle the blunt scissors that young? I think I have a new activity...long as he don't try to cut his hair lol!! Where can alphabet magnets be found, jcss? That's a great idea and so educational.
    mamma84

Answer by mamma84 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Mine will be 2.5 in a couple weeks. I got her a nice pair of child's scissors and some plain construction paper. She's done really well! And yes, they are out of reach when she's not using them with supervision. While she can answer the "Do we cut dolly's hair?" type questions properly, I'm not about to trust her!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• lol I know (actually hoped!) they aren't constant toys! I have a few of those myself, call them quiet time toys. Only come out when baby's napping, so it gives him something to look fwd to and let baby nap longer lol
    mamma84

Answer by mamma84 at 1:06 AM on Jan. 13, 2009