whats the best way to soothe a diaper rash on a new born?

ashlei_kay

Asked by ashlei_kay at 12:40 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Use some cream and let her play on a towel with no diaper on. Make sure you cange the diapers a lot to keep the baby dry all the time. DRY IS THE KEY!!!
    nicholeluvslucy

Answer by nicholeluvslucy at 12:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Use a wet washcloth, not diaper wipes and clean the bottom well and let the baby air dry on a towel. Use a good cream on the bottom after it has had a chance to become well dry. Dr. Boudreux's butt paste is the best out there, and you can get it at walmart, but it is pricey. And some babies break out from the diaper wipes, even the fragrance free hypoallerenic ones. Plus the diapers can cause rashes too....my son could only use huggies......pampers left dime sized sores on his bottom.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 12:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Squirt some breast milk on her bum.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• With both my son's I used to take their diaper off a couple times a day and let them "air out". Both of them only got diaper rash once or twice. But when they did i used desitin and it cleared up in a day or so. The hospital also told me to put vaseline on them after every diaper change to reate a barrier against the wetness. I think this really helped.
    alohamom2boyz

Answer by alohamom2boyz at 1:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i agree with alohamom. use desitin for now. in my experience that is the BEST diaper cream. i worked in daycare for 3 years, and i never once saw the buttpaste work well, but thats my experience. and let the babys bum air dry. and definitely, from now on, use vaseline during every diaper change, that was the best piece of advice i got from my mom. vaseline is cheap and it works better then most creams to prevent
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Really it doesn't matter what you use as a barrier. Desitin works but can be hard to clean off which can cause more irritation. Vaseline is great, but it rubs off easy. There are positives and negatives to any treatment. Airing baby out is key and keeping everything dry. My mother always swore by Caldecene powder. It is usually near the baby powder but come in a pink container. It really does work well, but doctors don't recommend powders anymore because babies shouldn't inhale the talc.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Bag Balm (you can get it at walgreens)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Triple paste is the best cream I have ever used! It is pretty spendy, but soooo worth it!
    BabyDylansMomma

Answer by BabyDylansMomma at 3:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• sudocreme OR Corn starch, it heals and prevents diaper rash..and it's been around to use forever or mother's and they're mothers and they're mothers lol...just try it!!
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 7:44 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Breast milk. Whether or not you are nursing, it is likely that if your baby is a newborn, there is milk in your breasts. Squirt a bit into your hands, or pump a bit, and apply. Let air dry before diapering.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2009