Breaking Out

My 3 year old breaks out sometimes, mostly on her face and legs. I thought maybe it was the soap or detergent we used so I switched those. I took her to the Dr and all he said was "Oh she just has sensitive skin..." and didnt even look at her! And he said soap and detergent dont cause stuff like that to happen. I've noticed her face gets blotchy when se gets upset and if she scratches it or her legs she gets whelps (like what a cat scratch looks like kinda). Has anyone else had this happen or know what this could be? I dont think it just "senstive skin".

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• the legs stuff sounds like hives keep benadryl around we got my daughter we got my sensitive daughter a new t-shirt once she broke out from it and we had to rush her to the hosp. so she may at sometime need benadryll the blothes could be from emotions but kids that are sensitive just need gentler soap and stuff so just watch as she gets older she will help you figure out what makes her itchy we use the antiitchy oatmeal bath somtimes
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My son does the same thing only on his legs, back and stomach. Has the same marks from itching. I took him to the doctor and she said that it's some sort of allergy or from bathing him too often and that was making his skin dry out. She told me to cut bath time down to every two or three days, and lotion him up a couple times a day. I had thought it might of been soaps too. Apparently it wasn't. She gave him allergy medicine to give to him at bed time and nap time when it seems like it's worse.
    luckie8

Answer by luckie8 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I mark like this too. It's related to having allergies. I would switch to soaps for sensitive skin and rinse really well after the bath. Then lotion. Try aveeno or something like that. Soaps and detergents can cause things like this to happen if they are allergic. Hives are not the only rash that this causes. If there is a reaction you can try benadryl, which works very quickly or claritin or zyrtec which take longer but don't cause drowsiness. You may want to have your child seen by an allergist. If your doctor does not take you seriously and you are concerned, you may need to see a new doctor.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2009