how can I help my grandchild get a drink?

My daughter-in-law who lives with me, nurses her 12 month old. She nurses when she wants and not when the baby wants. She also gives her cereal mixed with water, raisins, avocado mixed with applesauce, and cheerios. She believes that the child should not have much to drink because it will fill her up and then she won't want to eat her meals. I have given the child juice on ocassion and she drinks like there's no tomorrow. The child is underweight as was told by the Dr. She is starting her on milk now and has told me that she is to have no juice (I guess this is due to me pushing juice all the time) really I don't care what she gets as long as she gets something to drink. Her nursing is haphazard (usually when she puts her down to sleep). I feel sorry for the child because after having dry cheerios I know she's thirsty. Is there anything I can do or say to help? Thank you for any advice you have.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Tell her mom that she is dehydrating her child!!!!!! She needs to keep her Kidneys functioning properly, the child at least NEEDS water!!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 12:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• maybe try asking her to give her water?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Straight up tell her... She is living under your roof, therefore, you are somewhat supporting them. Put your foot down, tell her to start being a better mother or you will seek assistance.... and you know what I mean...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Well I think her logic would be fine if her child was say 7 or older.. But being so young that child needs all the fluids she can get! Is the child eating table food or a good variety of baby foods. At this point she should be getting alot of different types of foods. Try to give her water. Most children at that age wont take to well to it but it will get her hydrated. As far as juice I dont understand her not wanting her to have it.... sneak it in the water. I use to water my sons down bc he loved juice but i didnt want to give him alot.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• okay even if she is living under her roof it doesnt mean the grandmother can just give her WHATEVER... BUT as her grandmother you need to let her know you are concerned and give her some water at least.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Also any foods with alot of fluid will keep the child hydrated.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Juice is junk... might as well toss her a candy bar. And really, I don't think you should do anything but maybe *offer* advice. The more you push it, the less she will want to listen. And just because a Dr says a child is underweight doesn't mean squat. Some kids just aren't "average". Breastmilk is the best thing for her. Don't discount your daughters instincts because you want to be right. Mothers know best.. you are NOT the mother in this situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i agree 1 MILLION percent with anonymous at 12 57...

juice is junk sugars and so many more things. no ones HAS to have juice. she can and should drink water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• MOTHERS KNOW BEST.....

phooey!

C'mon - that's BS and you know it. Giving birth does not equal growing a brain. If a person is an idiot before they give birth, guess what - they will probably be an idiot afterwards as well.

This woman is sincerely concerned about a child she sees EVERY DAY. I think a little more compassion is called for someone in a tough situation.

As for the OP, I would make sure that water is readily available to your GD. Juice is not the evil that some people make it out to be but if your DIL does not want it in the house, then no sense provoking her too much. I would also look for real evidence of dehydration - what does your GD's urine look like? If it's clear, that's great. If it's dark yellow - that is a problem.

You also need to think about a transition phase to get your DS and DIL out on their own, so you can be just the grandma and not the landlord.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• By what you say your daughter feeds your grandaughter, it sounds like she is trying to give her healthy food. What she is doing with the juice thing maybe due to things she has read. Many different places tell you that juice is not good for kids, or that they should not have more than 1-2 4oz. glasses of it a day. That is not much. I would talk to her about giving your granddaughter water after she has eaten her meal or snack, but you really do not have the right to slip her juice. It is not your right, or what mom wants. You have to remember that she is the parent here. She may not be doing a perfect job, but it is her job, not yours. I am sure you were not a perfect mother from the start, it is trial and error.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 1:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2009