what do you think about this situation?

my parents divorced when i was 2. im now 20. and my dad NEVER helped my mom raise me and my sister. never paid child supp he was supposed to provide medical ins for me and my sis. he was never there up until the past few months we never really talked much and its ME making the effort. all in all...hes not a great dad. well my mom was already pushing for child support WAY before me and my sister turned 18 and just today my dad told my sister that there is a 70,000 dollar hold on his and his wifes bank account from back child support. and he wants my mom to drop it so he doesnt have to pay anything. do you think its fair? should she drop it? remember he may be struggling now with this, but my mom struggle for 18 years STRAIGHT while raising 3 kids without ANY help from him. all on her own she did this.. opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• No I don't think she should drop it. Your entirely correct, she raised you guys for 18 years by herself and he got off easy. I don't think I'll ever get a cent of child support from my ex but he helped make her so he should help support her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• sounds to me like he owes your mom about $70,000
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't ask her I think its entirely fair its his own fault and to be honest it sounds like he is just trying to take advantage of the fact that YOU want to have something to do with him

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Personally when I started to read your question it sounds a lot like how I was raised. My mom raised 5 girls all by herself and I was the one that contacted my father when I was 19. Anyway, I wouldn't ask my mom to drop the child support. Your mom even though both of you girls are now older then 18 should still get help. Better later then never. I think it is great that your mom is finally going to get the money she deserves. I think he is a a** for even asking to have the child support dropped!
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 12:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i dont think she should drop it either but my 2 sisters think she should. they feel bad for him because he just remarried and now what is his wifes is his and it was her bank account but they just put his name on it recently. but he has ALWAYS worked under the table so that they did not take money from his checks. hes been running from it for 18 years now.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I think its right for him to struggle. Like you said, your mom struggled all those years and he didn't do anything to help. The debt doesn't just erase because you all are over 18 now.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i agree. i mean yeah that sucks for his wife but sometimes karma comes around to bite you in a$$
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• no!!!!!! your mom deserves that money..he didnt care about helping..so why should he be give the consideration. no way.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 12:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I guess it's really just up to your mom. But she deserves to buy all she couldn't then, now! That could be a house, or college education for her daughters, grands, travel...really whatever she has always wanted to do but couldn't....because of him.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• im glad everyone agrees. lol i was just curious what others may have thought about this. And thought it would be a good topic to talk about... you know situations like this and child support and dead beat parents etc...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2009