Has anyone else had problems with a baby with a small head circumference?

I just went to the Dr. today for my 8 month old girls head recheck and it's still too small. She just hit the very bottom of the growth curve. Her Dr. is going to send her to a children's hospital now to see a cranial specialist and he's worried that there's something wrong with her brain. Also, she isn't making her milestones. She doesn't have much interest in toys, roll over, crawl, sit up, ect. But she does recognize people and laugh ALOT and she loves to babble. If some one else has experience with this PLEASE shed some light on this situation for me. I'm scared out of my mind.

nicholeluvslucy

Asked by nicholeluvslucy at 12:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/37280.htm

I googled it and this is what I found...from what I read she should be fine
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My friend just had a baby and her babies head is smaller. I know that she is making all her milestones though. I dont know what to say. But, as for a cranial specialist. they are some great people. My son goes to a cranial specialist but for his head being too big. If you would like you can PM me. I just know that the cranial doctors do know what they are doing. They take great care of my son.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 12:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Thanks for replaying Mikayla, but if you dig a little deeper into the situation, there's a lot of things that could be wrong. Especially with her not hitting basically any milestones by 8 months old.
    nicholeluvslucy

Answer by nicholeluvslucy at 1:24 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My daughter's head size is normal, but she does have global developmental delays, so I can relate. Good luck at the doc, are they getting her involved with early intervention. Feel free to PM me, my daughter will be 3 next month, we've been in therapies since 10 months.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Also, my advice to you is to try not to look into it too much. I had a developmental pediatrician tell me she thought my daughter had William's Syndrome and I started researching and I got myself pretty worked up, I mentioned it to her therapists and they all thought that was crazy, and they highly doubt she has it. Of course the concern with your daughter is that she could have Microcephaly, but try not to stress too much, it will only drive you crazy. Good luck.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Hello. Our son who is almost 6 months old is experiencing the same exact symptoms as you described. We just got back from a neurogolist, who scheduled us an appointment for an MRI. The neurologist told us that the best case scenario is that he has cerbral palsy, but will not make any diagnosis until after the MRI. I recommend that you ask your doctor about an MRI. Please keep me upadated about your daughter. My wife and I are extremely concerned about our son, as I am sure you are about your daughter.
    WLSB

Answer by WLSB at 2:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I am going through that now.. my daughter is supposed to get a CT scan and xray to see if her scull has fused already. mine daughter is nine months and we are supposed to do test this week so we will see. i am trying not to be worried yet. the doctor seems a little worried that the bones in her head have already fused together so maybe surgery. so i was looking on cafe mom to see if anyone had been through that .. pm me if you want to
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 7:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2010