Is my childs life going to be shorter because she has mononucleosis?

I took my daughter to the doctors because she was very sick. The next day we had to go and get her blood work done. She felt better the next day. Today the doctors called me and said she tested positive for mononucleosis. I asked what I should do and they said to just wait it out. She seems just fine, but when I mentioned it to a friend that she might have it before it was confirmed, she said that the life expectancy for children who get Mononucleosis only goes to 25. Is this true? I tried to do research, but I couldn't find anything. Any web sites or advice will be helpful.

mimis_mommy0518

Asked by mimis_mommy0518 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Health

• mono? noo thats not true at all idk why your friend told you that. but its completely a LIE. a LOT of people get mono. and live a normal life. its really not that BIG of a deal i mean yeah they are sick no one wants theichild to be sick but it does NOT shorten a persons life span.
    here is a good link :)

http://kidshealth.org/teen/infections/common/mononucleosis.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You dont have to worry. Mononucleosis is also known as "mono" or "the kissing desease". It is normal for anyone to get it. http://www.medicinenet.com/infectious_mononucleosis/article.htm
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 1:06 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Your friend is mistaken and cruel.

You should just call the doctor back and explain your concerns.

Mono is a very,VERY common illness. But really, you need to talk to your doctor and tell your friend to shut it.

Check out WebMD or Kidshealth.org for more info.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I got it in my 20's. If you don't rest when you first get it the symptoms can drag on and will come back each time you get run down. Once you let your body completely rest and recover you do get over it. For some people that is a week or two other people it is longer.

The worst case I ever heard of was a friend of mine from school who slept 16+ hrs a day for 3 months. I have not heard of anyone else getting that tired.

We are both in our mid 30's and doing fine.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• What? My son's dad had it a few years ago (he's in his 30s)you dont get a shorter life span. maybe your friend was mistaken & was maybe confuseing it with some other disease.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Your friend is completely and horribly wrong.Mono is like the flu that hangs on.Your dd will be around for a long time dear.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:17 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I hope not, I had mono when I was 17. I'm 22 now... I'm not ready to go. lol. The other women are right, you have nothing to worry about.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:25 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• your friend is nuts. mono is so very common. i (and pretty much every girl in my class) got mono on a ski trip in grade 8. we are all n our 20's and still kickin.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• WOW, I don't know where your friend got her info, but she is WRONG! What a horrible for her to have told you!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• omg thats so rude and so not true!!!!!!!!!!!! even if thats what i TRUELY thought (its not true) i would never say that to a friend who's son or daughter has mono.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2009