What should I buy to make a cake?

I'm wanting to start making nice cakes, so I want help in what supplies to get. I'm looking at a kitchen aid mixer but need ideas for other items. NOT FOOD items lol!!

thanks ladies,
Sarah

1boy1girl4me

Asked by 1boy1girl4me at 1:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The kitchen aid and a good set of baking pans. My mom did everything with a springform cake pan and a tube pan.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• OK, lol, I was thinking cake mix and frosting. :) If you do make some post some pictures. It would be fun!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Try the Betty Crocker sets! They come with a lot of cook cake decorating utinsels!! Good Luck!!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 1:40 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Check out the Wilton aisle in your local crafts store - I could buy EVERYTHING they offer!!!

Get a cake lifter (sometimes called blade) - it makes it soooo easy to lift up a whole layer!

If you have the $$$$, get a turning cake platform - frosting is a dream.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• The most important thing you'll need is quality baking pans. Cheap baking pans not only wear faster (making them much less cheap when you have to continually replace them!), but they don't produce the same quality of cake as a good, professional pan. Depending on what type of cakes you want to make, you should at least get a couple 8" and 9" round pans, maybe a couple square, and a standard 9x13x2 in pan (quarter sheet size). There are insulated liners available for cake pans too, which can come in handy if you're oven isn't accurate, since they help the cake to bake evenly. A good silicone rubber spatula is a good investment too.

If you're going to decorate: a couple offset metal spatulas, one large and one small are must haves. Pastry bags, couplings, & tips, paste or gel food colorings, a couple of paintbrushes (1" and detail), a turntable, cake comb..

Oh, and the Kitchen Aid!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:42 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Check out the Wilton website...it's awesome. They have tips on decorating, baking, transporting, etc as well as all the tools you could possibly need! http://www.wilton.com/cakes/
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You can't beat the Kitchen Aid and good pans. You will want a couple of cooling racks, a long, thin spatula for spreading frosting and a pastry bag and piping tips for decorating. I always use parchment paper in the bottom of my cake pans. Good luck and have fun!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• get cake holders too. nothing like spending all that time making a cake and then having nothing to store it in lol
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:12 AM on Jan. 13, 2009