What should I do about this?

Well, around 10 years ago I went to the hospital and rode in the ambulance. I guess my dad's insurance didn't cover it. I got a bill for it about 5 years ago and didn't pay it. I guess they 'found' me somehow. So since then I've moved and everything and actually forgot about this bill and today guess what?!?! In my new house with my married name + maiden name I get this bill again! What should I do? Isn't there a statute of limitations? It was a mental health concern, so I think (idk for sure) that it doesn't show on the credit report...in fact when we were home buying 2 years ago it didn't show up on there.......Anyway the bill is for the ambulance ride, $1500.

I know the right thing to do is pay it, I just really can't right now...btw I put this in Relationships because I didn't know where else to put it.

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 1:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• If you can't pay it all, can you make payments on it?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Maybe in a few months when I get a 'real' job.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• yeah usually they work with you and help you make payments
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• DO NOT ADMIT OWNERSHIP ! Do not make one payment on this bill... dispute it with the three reporting agencies and send this debt buyer a formal letter (return receipt requested) insist that the prove the the debt, AND the amount is legit. If they do not or cannot... you can have it removed. And yes.... it's on your credit report somewhere... the original debitor may not have put it there.... but this company who bought the debt can and will.... not as a "mental health bill".... but as an amount owed to them...not the doctor or facility or ambulance service. You've got hold of an unscrupulous collector... they get around the statute of limitations because they 'just bought the debt' so it's a 'new' collection for them. This will not stop until you stop it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• PaceMyself - but she owes the money, right? I mean, isn't that unethical?

Even though the debt is from long ago, shouldn't she have to pay it?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It's not that she doesn't owe it... it's that the amount is prpbably SOOO inflated from the original bill. This is not an interest bearing loan or credit card... it was a flat rate bill. The thing is that it's probably been passed around so much over the last 10 years and each debt buying company has added their own fees to the total.... she owes the original amount.... but not the inflated amount. And 1500 for an ambulance ride is a little high. It's not that she doesn't owe money or shouldn't pay it at all... but you make no claims of ownership and you pay nothing until the bill has been proved (and an ambulance ride from 10 yrs ago should DEFINITELY be proved, before she offers any dollar of her money).
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:32 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Buy the way... the ambulance service company wrote this debt off probably 9 years ago... and then sold the debt to the highest bidding collection agency, who probably tried to collect... but couldn't. So they sold it to the next one..... this happened to my husband... turned out the original bill was 127.40.... not the 980 they were trying to collect.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:34 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• And lets not forget..... she was on someone her dads insurance... chances were she was still his dependent... which technically make him responsible for the bill. Of course this depends on how old she was at the time of the infamous ambulance ride. If she was a minor... this is not her legal debt and not her ethical debt either.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:38 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• If they got her social security number at the time, then there's no way she can honestly deny the bill. Either she or her father are legally responsible for it, and something can be negotiated.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• And the amount may actually be legitimate. My son's ambulance ride at about the same time was about $1600 to the insurance company.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2009