5 month olds and tantrums?

My son just turned 5 months old and he has been a great baby so far! One of the things we have often bragged about is how he hardly cries...until recently! These past 3-4 days, he has found this "new" cry that isn't really much of a cry at all, but more like yelling from deep in his lungs. No tears involved, but he does kick, throw his arms about and arches his body backward. He has been doing this everytime we try to put him in his swing, on the floor, in his jumper, even when we hold him sometimes. It honestly seems like he's almost throwing a tantrum. Any suggestions?

jdrae13

Asked by jdrae13 at 2:44 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah, that's about that age where they begin throwing "fits" like that. He's just letting you know he has an opinion on the matter, lol. Just watch, I had one that liked to do that and throw her head back pretty hard. She caught me off guard once or twice and almost hurt herself.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• What do you do when they do that? My daughter is already 13, so I don't remember her going thru this phase. Just tonight I put him in his crib and let him cry for about 1 minute, and then went back and picked him up. When he kept doing it, I put him down for another minute and when I picked him up the second time, I just let held him and we struggled through the "maddness" together. He finally fell asleep. YAY!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 3:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• That's what I did with mine, just put them down. They learned pretty quick it wasn't how to get their way.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I'm guessing that until a better suggestion comes along, this is probably what I'm gonna keep trying too. I have a lot of patience, but I tell ya', sometimes this kind of "cry" can be pretty frustrating to listen to. I hope he finds some new skill he enjoys more...SOON! : )
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 4:18 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My son does the same thing, at 7 months. But if memory serves me correct, he started doing that around the same age as your son. I really do think it's when they start to realize that it can get them what they want...they do develop they're own opinion, and they just want to be mobile..with my son he started doing EVERYTHING early, rolled over at 2 1/2 months, crawled at 5 1/2 months..2 weeks later he was pulling himself up on everything and taking steps holding on to tables etc. I think the reason they do have these mini tantrums is because they want to be more mobile then they're little bodies will let them!!! He is VERY active and he has a strong personality, his name is Aidan and it means little fiery one..and that is bang on lol. Just do what the women above said, I just ignore him by singing when he does it..talking in a positive voice, and I put him down any way's where I was putting him..he gets it now!

aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 7:42 AM on Jan. 13, 2009