"Baby Can Read"...

I was recently told by a developmental therapist that this program could actually cause more harm than good, for babies. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so, how successful it has been for you? Just curious. ;0)

jdrae13

Asked by jdrae13 at 2:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• One needs to be careful in teaching whole language to a small child. Whole language is a system where the child memorizes words instead of using phonics to sound out words, also called sight reading. We all use whole language once we learn to read in that we no longer sound out each letter in order to figure out each word. Reading must begin with a firm foundation of phonics, however. Anything that is forced or not-fun is not good for baby. You can teach your baby ANYTHING if it's fun! IMHO it is not teaching a baby to read that can cause harm, but the method. Often, more is caught than taught. Bi-lingual children have an early advantage, as do those exposed to music exploration at an early age. Learning to read at a young age only enhances their ability to experience the world around them. It shouldn't be seen as something they 'must do' but as another fun game to play.

HTH!
    Scoutmamaof4

Answer by Scoutmamaof4 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I think they're garbage. You're better off just reading to your kids and cultivating an early love of books and word than pressuring an infant to perform. I used to nanny for a family that had all the money in the world to through in the toilet so they of course had this system. It didn't work at all. It's only conditioning anyway. Pavlov's dog.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• When I was little (before school age), my parents didn't own a tv and I can't ever remember them listening to the radio, except when my dad listened to sports. My mother read to us constantly, and I developed a real imagination and love for reading that I don't think I would have without it. I never went to preschool or kindergarten, but when I entered first grade the teachers and principal wanted to advance me to second grade mid-year because I was so much more advanced than my classmates. I think using DVDs, tv or other media to educate your child is "cheating" ~ it shows that the parent is lazy (NOT JUDGING!!!), and cheats the child out of quality time with their parents.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Good point. And the truth is, I quit my job to spend more time with my kids right now so I have no problem reading to my son. I was just wondering because if you watch the infomercial on this program, these kids just seem to be so far advanced and of course they make it so wonderful for the kids, now and in their future. I was just curious if anyone had REALLY tried it? I've always wondered if things like that really work with kids.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I didn't get to finish what I was saying above because we're limited to 1000 characters. I did teach all 4 of my children to read when they were 3yo. They loved reading and even loved learning to read. I learned to read at age 3 also, just by watching my mother teaching my 6yo brother to read.
    Scoutmamaof4

Answer by Scoutmamaof4 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I believe in reading to your children yourself. You form a bond with your child, can go back and forth to look at the words and pictures, point out things to your child so they can "see" what you are reading about, and choose a book more to their liking or comprehension level.
    Also, teaching a child to listen to tapes or watch dvd's on a tv or computer screen is not good for their eyes or developmental skills because they need that human interaction when learning something new.
    Starting at a young age, even when they don't understand, teaches a child that reading is fun and when they grow old enough to go to the library to choose their own picture books your heart will swell as they enjoy looking at all the amazing possibilities they have to choose from!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2009