• In the Spotlight:

My poor 13 year old daughter...

My daughter is 13 and all her life she has struggled with her weight until maybe a year and a half ago. Now she is developing into a beautiful young lady...literally getting more positive attention this year than ever before. She has made so many friends, and has boys talking to her left and right, even has girls jealous of her, but she was just diagnosed with psoriasis, which she has little spots all over her body. She puts ointment on, but I just don't want to see her fall back into her old depressed self. Anyone familiar with something like this? Any suggestions for her?

jdrae13

Asked by jdrae13 at 2:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I am really sorry. That is really difficult. I had an ex that had that and he was so self conscious. He didn't even like to get undressed in front of me. I have never dealt with a female friend that had it. My brother's ex did. She is a beautiful girl as well, but still very self conscious. Just remind her that the energy and attitude she projects to people are what is really attractive. Being a teenager is so hard! I just hope that she realizes how special she is, and doesn't let anyone bring her down. I am sorry I couldn't offer more help.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 3:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I have this too. I didn't have an outbreak for years but it common PP. I basically get it on my scalp but when its bad its on my knees, elbows, ears, tummy and chest. Rx Olux-E works great , I swear by cetaphil, slather up after showers moisturized skin breaks out less. I don't know how you feel about tanning but a trip to the tanning salon can nip an outbreak in the bud. Outbreaks are often caused by stress and by changes in hormones. Humera is a new drug on the market, my DR offered me this but I'm BF and it inhibits the immune system.

http://www.psoriasis.org/home/
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I HAVE IT ON MY SCALP, IT IS USUALLY BROUGHT ON BY STRESS, AND THERE IS NOT MUCH YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.

Answer by older at 8:07 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• There is soap, lotion combo that my daughter uses. Seems to keep the outbreaks to few. It is called Cetaphil. It is a bit expensive. But it has helped my daughter alot.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My son has had eczema since he was 2 months old. He has had it all over his body and has had to deal with some children being mean to him over it. We have it under control with creams and meds.

I think that if you talk to her and let her know that there is nothing wrong with her and give her the tools to be able to talk about it that should help. My son did a project in school on eczema and it explained to the students what it was and that sort of thing. Since then he has not had any problems. He is in middle school this year and loving it.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I have it and have had it for years. It started on my scalp.. I have tried everything.. From lotions, to tanning beds.. It just tones it down.. NOTHING really gets rid of it.. I hate it for you DD.. I had it soo bad on my knuckles one time and working as a cashier it was sooo embarrassing!! Finally it just went away.. Have your DD just use moisturizing lotions as much as possible.. Other than that not much else there is to do.. Don't buy those expensive meds from the dr.. They don't work either.. Just a little advice.. Good luck..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 12:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• How 'bout going to a dermatologist, maybe just the family physician before it gets worse..I'm sure they can prescribe a soap lather-up or anti-something, good luck.
    rockingrobin

Answer by rockingrobin at 12:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Well the above disagree but I just have to say that Olux-E would clear me up almost overnight...my scalp would take 3 uses. It is expensive but there is a rebate offer, I didn't pay anything the first time. If your insurance doesn't cover it its too expensive. I think like 250.00. Again a day at the beach with sun and salt water helps a lot.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2009