Left handedness

My daughter just did a science fair project on left handedness and we found out a ton of really interesting stuff on left handed people and the history of left handedness. I thought it was interesting that only 8 of our 70 people were left handed and that 5 of them had experienced traumatic birth experiences. Think their might be a connection? What's your thought on this?

jdrae13

Asked by jdrae13 at 3:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• lol i dont mean to laugh but i feel like i can tease my husband more now lol he was an iduced baby and they had to pull him out .. tee hee he is left handed
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:25 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• thats really interesting. might be just random accident though :P

im wondering though, what exactly counts as a traumatic birth experiences?

but Mrs.Owen86 is a meanie!!! LOOOL ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:29 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• lol no ... he deserves it lol he picks on me for beign pregnant lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:31 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• he picks on you for being pregnant?! for some reason that sounds funny :D
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:35 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• lol it is usually its one of those OMG your boobs are huge !!!!! i hate that and he pokes at my belly buton and always teases cause i waddle now :( lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:38 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• According to this book I'm reading, a traumatic birth experience could be anything from stress that mom feels while prego, to premature birth, prolonged labor, respiratory distress, use of forceps, irregular blood pressure, induced labor, breech delivery, pregnancy beyond 40 weeks, larger birth weight babies, and even traumatic experiences such as loss of a parent or caregiver in the first year. (just to name a few) By the way, we only found 2 left handed girls in the 35 girls tested, and one was born 4 weeks premature, put on machines, and the other 2 weeks late.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 3:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• lord .. that is alot what book are you reading? lol i really never heard this before
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It's called "The Left-Hander Syndrome" by Stanley Coren. Good Book. It explains a ton of stuff. Like that in almost every language, left-handed means things like, "wrong, awkward, evil, etc.".
    There's so much! I never even considered what left-handers have to go thru like in school and such, until I started reading this. Like how almost all desks in school are made for right handed students. The problem?...Well, right handed desks have a bar on the right side so us right handers can rest our arms while we work, but left-handers have to twist and turn to find a way to adjust themselves while they write in those desks, or they develop physical problems from always holding up their arms. I just bought a left handed ruler the other day, for the fun of it, but it was very hard to find. Many people didnt even know there was such a thing. The numbers go right to left instead of left to right. I thought it was pretty cool!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 4:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• im a lefty and i didnt go through a traumatic unless you call my BM the tragic part lol, waaaay 2 many things wrong with that woman
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 4:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• LOL. Yeah, we did have a few that said they didn't have anything happen to them either. But its food for thought. We even had a couple people who thought they were left handed, but when they did the test, they were actually more right handed, then left. So we joked with them and told them to tell people they are right handed while they write with their left!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 4:25 AM on Jan. 13, 2009