Why do people still see people in color?

I mean I believe that they only races in this world is... the intelligent and ignorant. We all have enough issues in this world. We don't need to focus on what color our skin is. Heritage is one thing, to be proud of your family history and ect... but judge by our skin color is horrible. I can't believe that in this time and day with all that is going on we're still focusing on such an ignorant thing.

Tabetha_ruh

Asked by Tabetha_ruh at 5:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree, I can't believe this is still such an issue! I like what you said about intelligent and ignorant... We were house-sitting for some friends recently, and when they returned home their neighbors told them in the future they would prefer to house-sit instead of us. When they asked why, they said they were not comfortable with my DH being there because of his race. Now that is ignorant.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 6:07 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Thats horrible that someone would say that. Thats awsome that your friend was so honest with you and told you about it. You two must have a great relationship. I just got in to fostering and am getting all sort of crap because i set myself up to get multiple racial children. To me their all the same and deserve the same love and same chances... but I looked around here and so many people don't believe that we're all the same, it's so sad
    Tabetha_ruh

Answer by Tabetha_ruh at 6:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Yeah, I was glad that they told me but I think I made them feel bad about it. I just asked them how they replied... and they said they were shocked and didn't say a thing. That kinda hurt because I thought we were close friends and that they would stand up for my husband, I mean I definitely wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut if I were in their shoes. DH says that not everyone reacts the same though, so I'm getting over it... It's hurtful when people act like that though.
    We've come so far with everything else such as technology, but it seems like racism is at a stand-still sometimes.
    Kudos to you for fostering!!! That's really awesome!
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 6:32 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Because we have eyes? When you describe someone, I think it would be kind of lame to say "he's about 5'9", brown eyes, curly hair...but I don't remember what color he was"....

misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 7:27 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Blame the media for keeping the issue front and center! But, misskimmy62 is absolutely right, how do you describe a person (black, white, purple or green) without using skin color--describe their clothing, and let the person asking look for someone matching that description?! AVOIDING the issue is even more awkward.

I don't take offense to being called white, why should someone be offended that someone is referred to as black (and no I don't describe someone as being African American, unless I KNOW they are from Africa!), it's better than being called the "N" word which is apparently acceptable among blacks?! Go figure!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• misskimmy i don't think that is what she means. she means in everyday life people are still racist. she not talkin about describing someone for a line up lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• That's just it....ALL black people are NOT from Africa! I think this has been proven. And if you REALLY wanted to be mad at someone wouldn't you also be mad at the Africans who sold their people into slavery. The white man only had to show up on the shores and the slaves were given over by their OWN people! Oh and there have been and still are WOMEN sold into slavery and children! But by all means lets focus on something that happened over a 100 yrs ago that our country has allready outlawed. Lets focus on people who NEVER were slaves instead of trying to do soming about the problems still going on!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Sorry...went off subject! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We where put on this earth different races to be tested. Life is just one big learning lesson and a test by god...those who judge and reject others will be judged in the end by god...and will not be worthy of the other side when we cross over. There would be no learning lesson if we all accepted each other no matter what. What is, is for a reason. To those who don't see in black and white, your heart's are pure, or minds are free of hatred and you deserve the love god bestows on you each and everyday!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Or spirit's can not evolve and grow, we can not better ourselves if we never have to learn while we're on earth!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2009