I've asked this Question before and got varying answers...

My DD is 9 months and has been constipated for the last month and 1/2. She is pooping every day or so but her pooh's are so hard that she has a VERY hard time pushing them out. Her bum is bleeding and she has some tears. Her anus opens a little bigger than the size of a quarter when she's poohin. I saw the nurse practionishner as my Dr is on vacation. I plan on seeing her when she's back.
Other than what I've listed below can you think of anything I can do to help my baby pooh easier? In my last question someone said that barley can make it worse! I'm lost, these are things the NP recommended for her. Except the flax seed, I know someone who did this.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 6:18 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I make my own broccoli and green bean for my little one. They're full of fiber which aids in bowel health. I make sure she gets a little of one or the other with lunch and dinner.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• 1) Increased her fruit (apples, prunes, pears and such...)
    2) She's BF and get's formula occasionally so she's now on low iron
    3) I'll be starting to drink aloe vera juice and also be adding it to DD's diet tomorrow
    4) Giving her a bottle of water a day to drink every day
    5) Giving her barley cereal, and adding flax seeds to her meals
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 6:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• A Tablespoon of Karo Syrup to each bottle. Karo acts in the gut to draw water into the bowel and keep stools looser.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 7:25 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You can give her about 3 ozs of water and 1 teaspoon of Karo syrup. It won't hurt her, it is just sugar water. But it will make it easier for her to use the bathroom. It really does work. And she can drink that everyday, till your dr gets back and can find out what her problem is. I hope she gets better soon!
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 7:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Definitely I would try straight prunes and apples, that usually worked for mine. She was EXACTLY the same way for a while. The other things you can do is make sure she is hydrated, stay away from bananas ( i was told they could stop you up or make you go so it's best just pass on them). Maybe you could ask if there is an OTC or RX infant stool softener. I know they have laxatives but I don't know if that would help with the hardness. Good luck, I know how sad it is to watch :(
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Karo syrup in a bottle of water or milk. Or just a small amount of prune juice. Increase fiber not just fruits but veggie intake. Try and cut back on cheese and other constipating foods. And try keeping her hydrated. As far as her bum .. use a & d cream... has always worked wonders for my son he has had some problems like this as well.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 8:06 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• A little bit of prune juice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• gerber sells an apple prune juice that works wonders. I was told never to give Karo syrup to my children due to health risks invovled with it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Prune juice!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2009