Am I wrong to be frustrated with this?

My son is 4 and has made friends with a boy he met at school this year. They can't seem to be proper together. During play time they have fun and things are fine. When it's time to do activities, or get their hands cleaned for snack time they become little crazy monsters! They fool and get so distracted from what they are doing, they'll run around and just get so excited! The teacher has seperated them and has given them timeouts. We have talked with our son and he's lost privelidges. The other boy's parent's have talked with him as well.
Does anyone else's kid have a friend who they are like this with?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 6:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think that is pretty common for boys of that age...they are excited and they just love playing together and nothing else matters.....The school can't be surprised, I am sure. They will separate them and deal with it.....keep talking to him about behaving, but do realize it is not unusual, really.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:35 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My oldest son had the same friendship in kindergarten. It drove all of us nuts, b/c they also were in the after-school care program together, so we had NO separation of them at all. We just had to tough out the yr, and the teacher wrote on their paperwork that they were NOT to be put in the same class the next yr. The next yr, they were in a different class and they both settled down tremendously. Now, they still see each other and play together from time to time but they are much better. I know how tough it is. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It's completely normal....and it frustrates me too! My son doesn't act like that with any other child so I was shocked to see him being so goofy and obnoxious. I know his teacher has moved his seat away from the other boy and she has never complained to me about it, so I'm hoping it just works itself out!
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We had this problem with my nephews too, still do on occasion. It was really hard when we first got them because they were complete animals. They even went to the bathroom together. They would get around each other and scream right over each other. They would bite, hit, kick, scratch, you name it. We have our house rules which we remind them of but I got a really cool idea a while back. We played the whisper game. I can't hear you unless you whisper. That dropped the noise level immediately; there was no nagging and there was quiet. We have to do it on occasion still but it is very effective. Now getting excited around a friend is normal but they need to be seperated. That is the first thing I did. You go to the bathroom by yourself. You shower by yourself. You sleep by yourself. Somehow they need to be kept apart, if that means switching classes that may be your best solution.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009