• In the Spotlight:

how do u get rid of cradle cap?

my two month ols daughter had cradle cap so bad and i dont know how to get rid of it.. i tried lotion and a brush but it wont seem to come up...

iloveshealyn

Asked by iloveshealyn at 7:24 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can take some baby oil, and rub it around on his or her head..then take your fingers and rub around, or you can use a baby brush just gently brush in diff directions until you see it start to flake off. DO NOT PICK! My doc told me to do it this way...but be aware that after I did my son looked half bald on the top of his head, babies have very weak hair so it breaks off easy...eventually he grew back new hair though. They do all lose hair to make room for new stuff..I guess I just started the process early so he looked pretty bald on top for a while lol.
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 7:27 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• OH and you might have to wash his or her head a few times after, to get the oil out..for me, it didn't come out easy! And to tell you the truth, it didn't really work that great either....Craddle crap lol, is something that goes away on it's own..and if it's a really bad case your doctor can give you something for it.
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 7:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Before her bath rub some baby oil on her head. Then wash it. They say you shouldn't pick at it, I did on all 3 of my kids and they were fine. Don't baithe her ever day either.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 7:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• SORRY Her! I forgot you said HER.
    aidansmyheart

• Simply washing the scalp daily with soap and water will clear up most cases of cradle cap. Regularly applying oil to the hair and scalp will clog the baby's pores and make the condition worse. You can apply oil, however, just before shapooing in order to loosen the patches and brush them out with a soft baby brush or fine-toothed comb. For persistent cases of cradle cap, your ped. can prescribe a cream, and you can use a mild dandruff shampoo. Cradle cap seldom lasts beyond the first few months.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 7:29 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• no do not pick at it. use the lotion like every one said and i used a comb and combed in all different directions it is not going to all come up at one time. you will have to do this dailey. and eventually it will go away my daughter had it for like two or three months before it went completely away.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Speak to the doctor about possibly using Selsun Blue shampoo. My DD had the same problem and it was horrible! The doctor advised that we try to use that shampoo until it clears up, but it IS NOT TEAR FREE and you need to be careful as to not get it in her eyes. I also found that is smelled horrible, so after a Selsun Blue shampooing, I'd re wash with a baby shampoo that smelled better so my baby still smelled like a baby.

Gentle Naturals, an Orajel subsidiary, makes a lotion for cradle cap. You might want to try this before going the route of yucky smelly shampoos.

Olive oil and a fine tooth comb.

Apricot oil and a fine tooth comb.

I think that's about all I have in my cradle cap arsenal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I have to agree with some of the other posters, when I asked my doc. he said the same ting. Baby oil or some sort of oil and then use a tooth brush to rub the skin. Don't wash the scalp too often becuase soaps will dry the skin out more. I also (cause my baby is 2 months & has little hair) put vasaline on his head after a bath or just when ever at night time. That seemed to help
    lovelily79

Answer by lovelily79 at 8:15 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my son had terrible cradle cap, so bad he looked like a reptile! what worked best for us was using a dandruff shampoo once a week (speak to your pediatrician first) and i also rubbed baby oil into his scalp after his bath while his hair was still damp. after 10 minutes i gently combed his hair with a small baby comb and this helped remove larger bits of the cradlecap. be gentle tho, you do not want to scratch up their head or remove so much that you leave raw skin underneath. it did give his hair a little greasy look but it was better than reptile head! this kept the cradle cap under control but it did not make it go away entirely, its not something you can just get rid of. it goes away on itsown as the baby gets bigger. Good luck!
    ilovenapping

Answer by ilovenapping at 8:16 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Ccomb it up as much as you can and put baby oil on the scalp. Kepp doindg this. It might take a few days but it willgo away. To keep the scalp from drying out in the future spray oil sheen on the hair.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2009