Divorce and Lawyers

Has anyone here evern gone through a divorce and not been pleased with the lawyer they chose? I just came back from my lawyers office and I am so frustrated w/ him right now. He is just not on top of things. My husbands lawyer gave him a checklist regarding all of our financial info and requested documents. Now 2 weeks later my lawyer wants the same info from me, but my soon 2 B ex has already taken all of the documents that I now need out of our file cabinet. So now my lawyer wants to supeena all of our banks and credit unions for this info. Which in the end means more money out of my pocket for the time and paperwork needed to get these documents.

I would really like to fire him and hire a different lawyer. Our court data is 8/11. Any thoughts or advice on this.

Bogi

Asked by Bogi at 3:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Relationships

• I had the same problems with my lawyer. My lawyer didn't ask me what I wanted out of the divorce, he told me what I was going to get. He flat out told me that he was going to everything "by the book" so to speak. He basically told me that what was mine will stay mine, and what was my hubbies (now ex) will stay his.
    He quoted me a price before I hired him, and now I my bill is almost double what he quoted. My hubby and I didn't "fight" over anything. Bills were split 50/50, we each kept our own things, and visitations were to be based on the court appointed time (when we could of had it changed to more/less visitation time).
    I can't stand my lawyer, and wish I would have gone with a different one.

Good luck with yours.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 4:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Tell your lawyer to drop it all and that your firing him, and if he persists on this action you will file an ARDCcomplaint against him for his negligence and incompetence on how he has handled your case. I bet he turns white when you mention the ARDC in regards to his neglence of your case. His law licence is at risk when you file a complaint like that.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I was divorced almost 16 years ago and got child supoort, which the state had to take it out of his paycheck and he got every other weekend and because I was trying to be nice, gave his parents the other weekends and also had it to where my son couldn't be left alone with his "girlfriend", not the word i wanted to use but I'm trying to be nice. Neither one has seen my son in over 8 years and they haven't called him in over 5 years. My lawyer was arrested 4 months after my divorce became final for stealing cliients money of all things and his lawyer was disbarred 6 months before we even went to court. I got what I wanted and he didn't. My son wil lbe 18 in Sept. and unless he pays the back child supoort he owes, my child support case will close at the end of that month.
    gbcouv71

Answer by gbcouv71 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Wow thanks for all the info - I love cafe mom
    Bogi

Answer by Bogi at 2:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2008