Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I doing the right thing? The temp outside WITH windchill is -34. I am keeping the kids home from school b/c the district is dumb and didn't cancel or delay today (again!). 2 of my 3 have seizures would likely happen due to temps. What would you do?


Asked by Babylove76 at 8:43 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 21 (10,227 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • wow! u learn somthing new everyday! I have had epilepsy for 15 years and never new that I would have kept mine home to so yea

    Answer by soldierswife11 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • I would dress them warm in layers and send them to school. They won't be outside. I would have driven to/from the bus stop,. This is no excuse for them to stay home. School is still open!

    Answer by chefjen at 8:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • I'd keep my kids home in that kind of weather and they don't have epilepsy or any other illness. You did the right thing, mama!

    Answer by drowninginboys at 8:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • If their attendance was otherwise good I'd probably keep them home if it is a health risk. We walk to school...about 4 blocks (takes the kids about 10 minutes because they are so slow) and we've walked with the windchill at -20.
    Not everyone has a car to drive to and from school. Our school never delays or cancels for cold weather unless there is a mechanical problem at school (last year the furnace died on one of the coldest nights so they called everyone to let them know there was no school the next day).

    Answer by justanotherjen at 8:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • I have mixed feelings about this. The possibility of seizures would be a worry. I agree that if they are sent to school they should have exposure to the outside minimized. If they aren't sent to school then I'd be talking with the administration there explaining what is going on, and also with the teacher to get assignments and lesson information as much as possible over the phone or by email and have a school day at home, not a vacation day. Make an appointment with the administration and the teachers and see what kind of arrangements you can make for this situation in the future- see if the teacher would fax you the work sheets or email information that you could use so the children wouldn't fall behind on their lessons, maybe even extra work or projects.

    Answer by Bmat at 8:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • Couldn't you just drive them to school? With windchills that low they won't be going outdoors for recess.

    If you're worried about your children and how the school handles things...maybe homeschooling is an option for your family. That way they aren't missing days of school and they're safe.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:00 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • well i think i remember you asking this question a few weeks ago i mean yea i would keep mine home in that kind of weather. but you cant keep them home every time it gets like that it will eventually effect their schooling and our school i know you can only miss so many days and they will fail the child for the year. so i would think about driving them or keeping them inside til the bus gets there.

    Answer by jodi205 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • Yeah, I did ask this b/4. I have talked to the school about my kids w/epilepsy. They don't want them there when they've had a seizure and send them home. About today and the temps, I don't want them to go outside at all! Including getting in and out of the car. I know they won't let them play outside at recess, but I think it is ridiculous to not call off school when the windchill is so cold. All the other districts around mine are delayed 2 hours or canceled. The teachers won't send homework home until they go back again. So when they are home, they can't do it.

    Answer by Babylove76 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • Not to mention that my oldest is having about 20 seizures a day already and she will have more/worse if she's out at all when it is this cold. They had me come get her on Thursday for seizures, Friday she had to go to Mayo in Rochester, MN and yesterday she had 6 while trying to get ready for school and kept falling b/c of them so I kept her home. The school said she should stay home b/c of the seizures. I want them in school, but this is one of the many ways the seizures impact our life.

    Answer by Babylove76 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • You are their mother and you are doing what you think is the best thing for your children.
    Follow your instincts and your gut....keep them home if that is what their mother wants to do...

    Answer by Dannee at 9:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2009