• In the Spotlight:

Any ideas on fun things to do with your toddler to help them learn...or talk?

Just asking for any fun ideas as far as activities to play with my 14 month old son to help him to learn...or maybe to get him to say new words...nothing that costs money though...just fun things we could do at home or any neat things just to help him learn new things...

AustinR3MySon

Asked by AustinR3MySon at 9:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Starfall.com is a good website. It's more for ages 3 and up I think, but check it out you might like it. You can ask him to point to letters or activities, and you do the clicking.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• take him out for a walk and if yuor child can walk let them go to where they want to, u know bushes flowers etc oint out the names of everyhting around you, youll be surprised how many names there are for things on a 20 minute walsk when you let them free! stones, yacky no, grass, poo poo, dirty sweets,flowers, wall, fence, hold hands, give me a kiss etec..it all adds up
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• If you want your child to learn and to talk, then just talk to him about everything. If he shows interest in something, then focus on that and explore it, whether it's a stop sign or a car or whatever. Describe it, talk about what it does, how it works, whether or not you like it. ALWAYS leave space in your conversation for him to respond. Ask him questions. Give him the opportunities to say anything. Respond when he does talk so that he understands the value of talking - it gets your attention! When he does talk, get excited.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i have a 2yr old and since he was little i let him watch noggin and nick jr its like preschool on tv and he loves it he learns so much from his favorite characters like deigo and yo gabba gabba, and the backyardagans they teach him colors and shapes and he even counts in spanish. another thing i do is i got him some books that i read to him and as we read i wil tel him what different things are. you can do it with food too and animals and sing little songs about the things they like to do. oh yeah get sum of those wooden blocks that have the numbers letters shapes and colors. good luck
    sexyred8106

Answer by sexyred8106 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Weather allowing, walks have been great for us. I talk to him about all the things I see and describe using colors and sounds, we count houses that are similar (like today we are going to count yellow houses) and I ask him questions about what he sees. He'll babble back in his own toddler gibberish, but some "real" words are starting to come out of him too. We get the back-and-forth "conversation" going and he's become a lot more confidant vocally. It is also a wonderful way for me to get some exercise.

risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Play, play, play, play.....as you're playing with him, label everything....

There's a blue A!

Let's roll the green ball! See how round it is like a circle.

How about putting the yellow triangle block on top?

He'll pick it up faster than you think....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• So far in the past few days he knows how to give me a kiss, find his nose (but he sticks his finger up it), go get your sippy cup, and I taught him how to spoon feed himself in one feeding
    AustinR3MySon

Answer by AustinR3MySon at 1:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009