Are you sick of it?

Protection for our own good. I am SO over it, I am sick of "oh no that will hurt your child" Don't do this and this and this. I am all for protecting my child but there is a line.. sure we have more scientific evidence that some things are better than others...but really I am not going to go out and intentionally harm my child, but I am not going to sit back and protect my child from every little thing out there.. Go play on the rough dirt without shoes on you will find it hurts and learn that shoes may be a better idea!! Grrrr.... I am OVER OVER-PROTECTION we are raising a generation of sickly dependent children. Do some people realize you are doing more harm then good from 'protecting' their 'fragile little immune system' from every single little scrap of dirt out there..... Are you for or against the over protection of children..where is the line?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you are referring to me not sending my kids with epilepsy to school b/c of -34 temps....come stay a day at my house and deal with all the seizures they have. The oldest one is having about 20 a day and the youngest one stops breathing, turns blue and needs to be resuscitated. Other than that, if you aren't referring to me and my kids, then I agree. Most of the time I allow my kids to do most things, but I am not going to have them do things I KNOW will make their seizures worse! Seizures in my kids ARE LIFE THREATENING!! Try getting one of them to come out of a seizure that last 20-30 minutes or more.....

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:25 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• what the hell are you talking about? no one and i mean no one can protect their children from every little thing. they are going to get sick they are going to get hurt unless you put them in some kind of bubble it is going to happen
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• No. I'm not referring to situations that are life - threatening of course.. My brother is epileptic and was unable to do a lot of things that i would consider a normal childhood thing due to his grand mal seizures (that would of been putting him in direct harm). I am referring to keeping them safe (not keeping them hidden)....and teaching them how to keep themselves safe
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• No..Your right no one can keep there child from every single little thing..but people DO try to do it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Thanks OP - I feel like I am getting a little slammed in my own post about not sending my kids to school today, didn't mean to offend you. I was on the defensive! lol
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Why would you think this is directed towards you baby? Yes I think some parents CAN be over protective.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• well the people that try are crazy. my daughter will go to do something that i know is going to make her fall or possibly get slightly hurt. i will warn her she will look at me and smile. my reaction is ok go ahead and learn the hard way cuz i warned you once. but thats how they learn. and as for illnesses they are going to get colds and flus and belly aches you cannot avoid it so hey let them try
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• and baby love no need to be on the defensive if it was that cold i would keep them home too but like i said in your post you cant do it every time cuz it will effect their skooling. i know your kids are sick i just hope the skool realizes that. good luck and i would do it too
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Jodi I agree lol. My kids are the same way and I tell them the same thing. Actually my hubby freaks out more than me. I'm like relax! Let them be kids, how the hell are they going to learn?

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• when i first met my dh we use to meet at a playground with the kids his 2 my 1and he was up there butt i told him let them slide on there own they will surprize you they were old enough to. i saw nothing wrong as long as i could see them at all times but to follow them the whole time. no. i said they will learn the fall ( not hard just a small boop ) and will see ok dont do that. his kids wernt use to that mine was and was having a blast his didnt know what to do. lol. but they learned by the 2nd playground trip dh was like this is great i can play but not coddle them. i said kids need to learn let them learn. as long as its not dangores.. i know what you maen hun..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 13, 2009