What age is appropriate to spank your child?

My son is 7 months old and he understands no, but doesn't listen. So when he gets into something he's not suppost to we tell him no and he justs laughs then does it again. Is is too early to give him a little smack on the butt or hand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's too young to be spanked. A firm no no for a seventh month old will help them to start to learn right from wrong. Hitting may confuse him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• As soon as my daughter was able to grab things that she didn't need I started popping her hand. She ran from me one time, in a parking lot (13 months) and She got popped. I think as soon as they start grabing for things that they don't need or can harm them there is nothing wrong with popping thier hands.
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• as soon as they come out of the womb.... j/k. when my son was 7 months and doing the same thing i baped him on the hand and looked in his eyes and said " i said no" it worked. but now hes 3 and will laugh when he gets a slap on the butt but he knows my eyes from im just getting mad verses im gonna flip. good luck hun its a challenge xpecilly when they think its funny. xo all the best xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• 7 months too early. he may know what no means.. but he is still learning if that makes sense. All kids are different and you'll know the right age when he gets there. But make sure you are always calm when you do it and i believe anything more than three firm swats is TOO MUCH and out of anger.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It's not too soon. he has a nice diaper that makes spanking not painful, just a reminder that what's he's doing is not okay. If you start now you won't need to spank more later on in life because he'll get the message early. My parents spanked and rarely actually had to spank us because we knew aht if we did something wrong we would be spanked.

Don't feel bad- like I said the diaper is good padding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Its never appropriate
    TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 10:43 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I would try redirecting his attention. And if he keeps going back to it then maybe a little pop on his hand or on his diaper and and tell him no!
    -Brandi-

Answer by -Brandi- at 10:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Perfectly fine to swat his hand or butt. Make sure when you tell him no that you are using a firm voice and make a mean face. This way he can see that you are not happy and not playing a game.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I'm working twords a degree in childhood psychology and from a deveolpmental standpoint, spanking is never ok. It just teaches violence. for a seven month old telling them no, and then physically removing them from the situation (away from the wires, pots, whatever) is appropriate. from 12 months one minute timeouts are acceptable increasing in length for one minute for each year of age. but, that's just what the books say, and it's your real life kid who thinks it's fun not to listen, so do what you feel is right.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Spanking does not teach violence. It teaches discipline. Certain actions will result in an unpleasant reaction. I don't know any child that fears a timeout or firm talking to.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2009