• In the Spotlight:

How safe is it to.....

My son is 30 lbs. and he is only 14 months old! The main problem is he does not walk yet! I just found out im pregnant with baby #2! Is it safe the carry my son around and pick him up all day long? I know i dont have a choice but should I keep it to the minimum?

clo1988

Asked by clo1988 at 9:32 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My daughter is 14 months and is 21 lbs. Boys are normally bigger than girls at this age. Both of my children walked before they were a year. My son walked at 8 months and my daughter at 10 months. You really have not choice but to carry him . It's not like he can walk to you to get his diaper changed..... you can't drag him.... LOL (visual picture) I think just carry him when you NEED to... But, I don't think your at RISK for losing the baby even if you do carry your son... Don't worry...
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Your body is already used to carrying him, so it is ok... it is after you give birth that you should pick him up.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:36 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I worked in a daycare with babies and toddlers my whole pregnancy. I was worried but my dr. said just keep it to a minimum. My baby was just fine, no problems. You aren't far along yet so there isn't really a problem for you right now, but it will get harder for you the bigger you get so start trying to get him used to not being held all day but either way you'll be fine in my opinion.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 9:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• IMO, too many treat pregnancy like an illness. It is okay to lift things, drive cars, run, and do a pluthera of other things. You will be fine picking him up. My daughter is 12 months old and I am 21 weeks with baby number two. I wear my baby everywhere.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Alright thank ya! I figured I would be fine but just wanted the reassurance! Lol! I dont know why I was even worried I used to carry 40lb bags of dog food up stairs when i was pregnant with my son and he turned out fine! Just something about this time around.....
    clo1988

Answer by clo1988 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My oldest is 4 1/2 and I still carry him even though I am 12 weeks pregnant. When I was pregnant with my second my son was 16 months and I carried him all over even though he started walking at 9 months. It was winter and he'd always trip in the snow, or stop to play in the snow. My midwives tell me to limit carrying him now that he is 42 lbs, but most mornings when I need to go to work he is still sleeping. The only thing is it really hurts my back when I carry him. I think if you are comfortable then there shouldn't be any reason that you can't keep carrying your son. Congrats on the new baby!
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 10:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My sister-in-law has had 4 babies (girls) in 4 years. Harley, 3, Scarlette, 2, Sadie, 1, and Zayzelle, NB. Her stepson is 6, so they're all young. Mandi has had no trouble whatsoever in picking up any of her children, and nursing two, carrying one, it even LOOKS hard. But you will be surprised at the things you are capable of. Don't be scared of doing things in your normal routine, and if you have any questions about it, ask your OB!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009