To remove the ovaries or not?

I am scheduled for a Hysterectomy Feb 4th. At 47 my doctor feels I should remove my ovaries. I have not had any ovarian problems but his thought is that since I am nearing the menapause stage its best to get them out. My question is how do any of you feel that have removed your ovaries and do you know of any negative outcome. I think that I am starting to experience symptoms of menopause, but I am not really sure that means I won't keep functioning another 5 to y years. Any advice?

newmee

Asked by newmee at 9:36 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Health

• If there is no reason to remove them-then why not just let your body do what it is supposed to do and go into menopause. I don't think that women should get their ovaries out for no reason??

Seems unwarranted and I would get a second opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My mom had hers removed BY MISTAKE!!!! Ouch! (dumb ass surgeon) Anyway she has cancerous cells around her ovaries and they were only supposed to remove that part. Well, they "killed" her ovaries (those were their words) and now she's taking hormone medication. Guess what one of the side effects of that medication is... CANCER! Don't have them taken out unless there's a problem.
    majesticchild

Answer by majesticchild at 10:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My dr tried to pull that bs recently " I will just pull them out while Im in there". To which I retorted "oh no you won't!" They have a function and if they are healthy do not remove them. I keep telling these butcher happy male gyns that when they cut off their penis then they can remove my private body parts. I ended up canceling my hysterectomy at Thanksgiving time. I'll find a new doctor if I have more problems in the future. I'm in my 50's, still have periods and I like having my body whole thank them very much.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i had to have my utreus burned because of heavy periods,,, i dont have them any more, my doctors told me that u dont remove something just because !!!!
    peachy101

Answer by peachy101 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009