Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am looking to find information on custody, motions for visitation, etc. Also what is the best way to go about finding a lawyer and what questions to ask them?

Currently my son lives with me and has since he was born. He is 20 months old and I have only been receiving child support for the past 6 months. His father is now giving me a motion for visitation to see him 2 times a week with an overnight (right now he only sees him once.) He has a past of being unreliable... or just not there, he went 2 months without seeing our son at one point. I understand a father has his rights but I don't think that he fullly deserves the rights as a parent because of his background.

Answer Question

Asked by meckybay at 3:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • You have to look all that up under your state's statues. Laws vary from state to state. And some from county to county. So call the county clerk in the county that has jurisdiction and they should be able to get you on the right path.

    Answer by desert_diva at 4:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

  • I am kind of going through the same thing you are going through, but my son is almost 3yrs old. My ex doesn't come to see our son very often, sometimes months goes by w/out hearing anything from him.
    If I were you I would go to the local Friend of the Court, and ask them some questions. They can give you a good website, or even be able to send you some info.

    Answer by bookay at 4:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

  • Go to it has message boards like on here and lawyer referals and all kinds of stuff,it's awsome.

    Answer by JonahsMom1107 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

  • My divorce was finalized a couple months ago and I looked through the local phone book and found my lawyer that way. I just wrote down a bunch of lawyers and their numbers and started calling away. Financially I asked what the retainer would be (kinda like a down payment which is usually around $2000 or more for a good one) and then ask the hourly rate) I asked first what they specialized in and talked about my situation to see if they agreed w what I wanted (figure they will fight a little harder for things they agree w) I got what I wanted in my divorce, so I am happy. Good luck

    Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

  • Just keep in mind that support and visitation are mutually exclusive. One has no bearing on the other. So just because you may not get support does that mean that it will be easier for you to keep your child from the father. (as crappy as that sounds) good luck!

    Answer by allord at 9:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.