MONSTERS....PLEASE HELP

I am asking anyone out there if they can help me with a problem I am having with Gretchen who is 2 1/2. For the past two or three weeks we have been dealing with monsters and she won't go to sleep at night. We have searched the room showing her there is noting there, we have let her sleep with her light on, she always has a night light, we have been stern, sympathetic, but whatever we do either works once or not at all. And last night was the worst she screamed and was terrified for hours. It was horrible. And Ryan and I are completely lost as to what to do. So if anyone has ANY suggestion. I would LOVE to hear it.

Srkimmel

Asked by Srkimmel at 9:43 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Baby powder....get some and put a new label on it say monster b gone or something....tell her to sprinkle it around her bed at nite and it will keep the monsters away.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i tell my kids monsters are not real they are only in movies but you can try to get a dream catcher and tell her that will keep the monsters away i have alot in my kids bed rooms lol and it works to
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We did the dream catcher thing as well. Bryce hasn't had a nightmare since.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• you can also make monster repellant spray - get a water bottle and put water and maybe some perfume (like that calgon stuff - something cheap and easy to pour. something like a sparkle body spray might be good too - anything that appeals to her. then go around and spray her room each night together.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• what about giving a flash light? also when my dd went threw this a friend of mine who dd just adored gave her a vile of magic dust it keeps the monsters and bad dreams away. the next morning dd came down so happy and isaid mommy the magic dust worked. or a glow worm that helped me when i was afraid of my closet. ( soooo long ago ) i would think whats her fav thing or her fav cartoon and go with that. dora get a doll or a poster and she will keep monsters away. spongebob same thing. or get one of thoes acurums (sp ) that light up and the fish swim around the noise and light might help. ( there swimming around to keep the monsters away ) i have seen them at target and k mart even cvs. good luck hun i know its hard for you guys and her. xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Man we mom's get creative when it comes to "killing" monsters. :-)
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• lol yes we do hey if it helps the kids sleep then we will get sleep lol
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Just remember that for her, the fear is REAL, even if the monsters aren't,so trying to prove her fear unfounded doesn't help at this age. Talk to her about them, see if she can describe them, ask her what they want. This is absolutely normal, but something her brain needs to process through. Give her a "magic" way of protecting herself, whether spray, dreamcatcher, whatever - children believe in the in the power of magic as much as they believe in the monsters. My son is 3 1/2 and only recently started talking about being afraid of monsters (he's always invited them in and played with them in the past).
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• When my twins had monsters, I camly told them to tell the monsters to come watch tv w/ your mommy and that they (the twins) could fight w/ them or play w/ them in the daytime. I said tell those monsters Your mommy means business and will not put up with monsters keeping them up at night. The girls boldly told those monsters that because thought I was gonna hurt those monsters. We never had monsters again.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You will never convince her that there are no monsters. And scolding her just teaches her that her fears are "wrong".
    My daughter has a stuffed dragon. His job is to growl at and bite any monsters that come in her room. Just ask her! She'll tell you so herself.
    How about taking your daughter shopping for her very own guardian? Let her pick out a fierce little stuffed animal who's job is to keep the house (and her room) monster free?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2009