getting a three year old to take liquid medication!

does anyone have any trick to try to get my 3 year old to take a liquid medication?! we've tried a spoon and he'll keep his mouth shut tight, and we've tried to let him drink it from the med cup, and he sipped it and refused the rest. and we've tried a syringe, squeezed it between his lips and squirted in....and he spits it out! this is all while we're holding him down! awful experience! help!

samkimber80

Asked by samkimber80 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i tell my kids if they dont take it they will have to go back to the doctor and get a shot that works lol it might sound mean but they dont fight me to take it or you can even put it in whatever he is drinking without him knowing
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I bribed mine with Hot Wheels cars and treats until he realized it wasn't that bad. Now he takes it fine.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Try putting his medicine in a cup along with his favorite drink just enough for him to finish it then give him more of his drink he won't even know the difference. And Walah! He took his medicine. Hope this works.doctornurse

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Our DS takes "Power Ranger" medicine - he knows that it will knock his sickness out.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Mine does this too, I start talking about it before I get it out, "I think I am going to take your med it looks yummy" Then she will say no it is my med and I will say but I want some and she will want to take it before I do.
    mommygirls2

Answer by mommygirls2 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• if you use the syringe put it in his mouth towards his cheek and it should be harder to spit out. Also I've heard if you blow in their face as you put it in it will make them swallow.
    comom2twinboys

Answer by comom2twinboys at 3:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2009